Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Quick one on tyres

F1_Dragon

If i have a slow puncture on rear tyre, i need to replace both rears? correct? I have impression from other threads, i shouldn't consider a repair.

Given that'll i'll be tracking her for the first time on 4th March, what sort of mileage will i need to make sure they are scrubbed, or do i watch too much F1 and no need to worry about that?

chrs!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46400

i think you only need to replace both tyres if it means that by putting one new tyre on you have have one new and one very worn - if both rears were fairly new then you can probably get away with just one new tyre.

repairs are very subjective - depends where the hole is and how big the hole is.

Why not get the hole repaired, track that set of tyres and then once you have worn them both out on your trackday, but 2 new ones?

re scrubbing in - im led to believe that whenever you fit new tyres, you should take it easy for a hundred miles on so - this allows any releasing gunk to wear off the tyre - brand new tyres do not have optimum grip etc. have a look in your handbook - there some info in there about it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46401

IIRC

Tyres should not be repaired if the puncture is anywhere other than the surface area in contact with the road. Whilst touring in sunny switzerland in my 964, someone pointed out a rivet in my nearly new rear tire having replaced all four fairly recently. I popped it into a garage intending to replace it. He removed the rivet, plugged the hole and sealed it. all in about 10 minutes and all he took was 20CHF for a beer. The tyre performed normally until replaced a couple of years later back in blighty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46402

Thanks guys.

Warren hadn't thought of that, will check extent of fault and the look in to getting repaired if safe.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46474

I think there is 6mm tread on a rear tyre, and I believe that you can match up tyres on the back provided you have over 4mm left on it.

Happend to me when I had just bought the car in November.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46479

Slow leaks are normally not punctures - just grime between the tyre and rim - often cured by loosening the tyre and re-seating....

If you do have to buy a tyre I would do exactly what Warren says - fix and track the old one, and don't buy two new tyres if the current one is still fresh...

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46483

Thanks for the advice on this one guys. New boot fitted today, £200 Conti from Hendon tyres, good bunch of guys IMO

One thing that i learnt (the hard way) is if you detect a problem get it checked/fixed ASAP. I had a screw in my tyre, which could have been fixed. As it was i spent so long procrastinating about a course of action that the sidewall got damaged meaning it couldn't be fixed (safely). :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47247

Just for the record - the Porsche 993 owners manual says NEVER repair a tyre.

0-62 in 5.2 seconds and 171 mph on a repaired tyre?

Not me.

Use a plugged tyre on a track day ??? **** ***

No way!

See my other posts on tyre pressures....
:eek:

From the Continental web site...
New tires have to be driven a few hundred kilometers on dry roads to rid the tread of parting agents and antioxidants applied during production. Not until the tread has been slightly roughened will the tire be able to make its true gripping power felt.

What's more, flooring it and slamming on the brakes can cause tire/rim slip in the first few hundred kilometers of tire use. That's because the lubricant used in mounting the tire has an initial tendency to reduce the adherence of these two parts.

You are thus well advised to exercise care with new tires. And keep in mind that winter tires fresh out of the factory will need a bit of time to attain full winter suitability.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47277

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back