Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

98 996 C2 Handling

PM

I have had the car for over a year now and my only complaint is that it can be extremely skittish over the slightest camber. I have tried dropping the tyre pressures a small amount which did make a small difference but the key problem still exists. Is this a feature of the car or can i do sumthing about it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46074

Welcome to the site,

see previous posts re handling, and have the suspention alignment checked.

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46077

Now i did get the car checked at Micheldever tyres, all checked out ok, but would this have shown any probs or shud i get it checked at a porsche based garage

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46078

suspention alignement and wheel alignment are very diffrent.

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46079

So is this a dealer job or can u recomend another way to get it done

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46081

I am based in wales, however I dont think you will be to far away from Ray Northway, do a search for Northway, and you will find him.

Very Good independant.

Knows his stuff.

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46082

What car did you have previously?

I have just come from an S8 and previous to that a GTO TT, and having just got a 98 996 C2 I would agree that the steering does indeed feed a lot more through the wheel!

Steve

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46297

Hi Steve

Well on the sports front I had a caterham 7 but run a Golf PD TDI on a day to day basis. There is a particulaly bad piece of road between Hook and The hatch as the A30 out of Hook becomes dual carriageway. The 996 really struggles with the camber to the point I thought I had suffered a puncture and had to pull over. I use that stretch of road regulaly and it still surprises me every time.

As you would expect the Golf doesnt notice a thing!

Peter

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46681

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by PM on 24 February 2006

Hi Steve

Well on the sports front I had a caterham 7 but run a Golf PD TDI on a day to day basis. There is a particulaly bad piece of road between Hook and The hatch as the A30 out of Hook becomes dual carriageway. The 996 really struggles with the camber to the point I thought I had suffered a puncture and had to pull over. I use that stretch of road regulaly and it still surprises me every time.

As you would expect the Golf doesnt notice a thing!

Peter
Peter,

Do you mean that the car pulls heavily on cambers and bumps in the road?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46694

Oh yes thats sums up the handling nicely

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46844

Hi Peter

Know the bit of road you mean well, as I am in Basingstoke..! I can confirm that mine does the same sort of thing as well along there. Not bad enough for me to stop though!

White lines have me wandering all over the shop, bit like being on my Suzuki at times...either its normal or we both have crooked cars...;-)

Cheers

Steve

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47018

Mine does exactly the same - it is not so bad in my mum's (which is the facelift version). It's just something I have got used to.

Is this to do with the suspension settings?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47022

Well I did as suggested, went to see Ray Northway. We drove the car on a gud and bad bit of the A4 and he predicted the handling perfectly. Apparently its down to the 18" wheels so looks like im / we are going to have to live with it. At least I know its not a problem and from the above comments im not alone.

I did ask if lowering the ride height, via new springs, would help but his view was that it wouldnt be noticeable. Guess its a feature..........................

Really pleased with the help and comments from this forum, thanks

Peter

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47301

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by PM on 28 February 2006

Well I did as suggested, went to see Ray Northway. We drove the car on a gud and bad bit of the A4 and he predicted the handling perfectly. Apparently its down to the 18" wheels so looks like im / we are going to have to live with it. At least I know its not a problem and from the above comments im not alone.

I did ask if lowering the ride height, via new springs, would help but his view was that it wouldnt be noticeable. Guess its a feature..........................

Really pleased with the help and comments from this forum, thanks

Peter
I have the 18's as well. Glad to know it's a feature! (and that's nothing wrong)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47326

Guys, sorry to resurect this thread, but I replaced all my tyres today. From Pzeros to Continentals. The ride is so much smoother. The car doesn't pull hardly at all on the road cambers.

I don't no if it will get worse as the tyres age - but today was absolutely fab! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57347

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back