Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 carrera 2 tiptronic gearbox

peter wells

1991 964 carrera 2 tiptronic gearbox

i have done nearly 165,000 miles in my car serviced etc its been a great car have travelled all over europe le mans everwhere f1 meetings.

But tonight while driving local my revs shot up and down i thought first my foot had slipped on the wet carpets however i then noticed my gear stick had shifted from the
1-4
sport mode to the normal
drive
position and the
gearstick
symbol warning light on my dashboard time clock display is permanently on.

any suggestions

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44716

time for a new gearbox ?

you may want to check the gearbox oil to see if there are any 'significant' metal fragements in the oil

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44796

ive managed to source a recon gearbox however ive been told to get my local porsche guy to check several things as follows:

1/the gearbox cable

2/gearbox oil/filter

3/management system.

the car is only 3,000 into a 12,000 service but i have had a problem with maintaing idling speed /tickover even when warm it some times drops the revs to zero and has been cutting out on me.i ,m just hoping its not a replacement gearbox, the car has performed great in the 9 years ive had it.

ive spent a lot of money on it but its worth the effort to keep it on the road i have used it every day possible business and pleasure its never let me down as i told the wife if its a choice between the car and her she might loose ?

note ill get my guy to check for metal bits etc.

regards

peter

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44820

Sounds serious Peter, however I am sure that I have read on this forum in the past that problems like this can be caused by software/electrical problems.

Try a search on related topics

Hope its not to big a problem :(

Good luck

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44821

the gear symbol indicates a 'get you home ' mode, i would also check the electrics for the tip box,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44824

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back