Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Some LED's on my car

smtk

Paul Ricard
It turns out ACE has some of those LED side lights now so i bought a pairheres comparastion shots (note my old side lights were philps blue tint bulbs which were much brighter than standard)
newvsoldsidelights2uj.jpg

and after shot with headlights on
newsidelights0hg.jpg

Yes i know they arent legal but i cant see the harm usless they shoot out lasers into the eyes of on coming drivers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42081

Cool. How much?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42082

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxy M on 08 January 2006
Cool. How much?

They are £10 but i'd ask ace direct for them to make 100% sure they are positive earth bulbs

Oh i also got some side repeaters from ACE at the same time

The quality 10x better than my old ones look like cheap Mexican 1980s cereal box knock offs in comparison.

I'll be getting photos just is raining today

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42083

I saw a thread elsewhere on the subject of these LED bulbs which suggested that as they are not road legal (and Aceparts says as much on his website) they might invalidate Insurance in the event of an accident i.e the Insurance company looks at the car, finds these bulbs, and says sorry you're not covered as you have carried out an unauthorised modification.

Can anyone on here throw any light (sorry :oops: ) on this point?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42092

Of course, if you're not driving on sidelights (and who in his/her right mind would), then they're contributing nothing to seeing and being seen, and therefore are not a safety issue at all.

But of course insurers may not see it that way. :evil:
Or MOT-ers. I saw on the PCGB forum a bloke had replaced his sidelights with LEDs and rather fancied the idea. But maybe I'm less keen. As Richard says, anyone else got a view?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42096

The only way I could see them invalidate the Insurance would be if they contributed to the accident

i.e. driving with just your side lights on and you had a head on crash would be the only example that jumps out on me

But if they had no bearing on the accident I couldn’t see how they could be used to invalidate Insurance any more then say after market tail pipes, spoilers etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42097

Surely that blank number plate is the real problem?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42102

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 08 January 2006
Surely that blank number plate is the real problem?

helps with those speed cameras :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42103

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk on 08 January 2006
The only way I could see them invalidate the Insurance would be if they contributed to the accident

i.e. driving with just your side lights on and you had a head on crash would be the only example that jumps out on me

But if they had no bearing on the accident I couldn’t see how they could be used to invalidate Insurance any more then say after market tail pipes, spoilers etc.

I'd like to think you were correct & common sense says you should be, however since you have on most (all?) policies to declare any modifications from the standard spec, any Insurance company could argue that you made a false declaration to obtain Insurance & thereby declare you policy as invalid :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42105

I think Rob has hit the nail on the head. Such lights are not going to cause accidents in themselves, but if you give an Insurance company an inch to wriggle, then they are going to take a mile in avoiding a pay out. I'd certainly like some of these bulbs to boost the brake lights on my car which are fairly dim in comparison to newer cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42111

I wonder whether this principle applies to HID headlamps too, especially the kits with non-self-levelling etc...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42138

As I've stated elsewhere, Fiesta owners are just much more willing to spend a tenner than all you porker owners :)

Look at it this way, if someone's that mesmorised by your led side lights that they pull out in front of you, the impact will wipe out the front of the car including the LED's anyway!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 42141

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back