Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Burning Clutch Smell

simon yap

I am looking for a bit of advice on my 964 C4.

Whilst at the traffic lights the desire to beat a boy race got the better of me. In doing so I rev'ed the engine to about 4k Rpm and dropped the clutch. As I accelerated away I could smell what I think was the clutch burning. Is this a sign of a the need for a new Clutch or just an over excited approach to driving.

Since then if I am in traffic and rev the engine above 2k before slowly letting the burning smell returns. Needless to say I am not hardly reving before letting the clutch out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41581

With a C4 the tyres have more grip than the clutch so if you dump the clutch at 4k you'll wear the clutch out in no time!

If the clutch is worn it'll slip and give the burning smell. Try to let the clutch out completly on higher gear eg 3rd or 4th, then put your foot down, if the clutch slips then it's about time for a new clutch.

Next time on the traffic light, let the clutch out fully at lower rev before you floor it, let the engine torque do the accelerating, the clutch might last a bit longer then. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41584

Hi Mick.. on the same idea but different car.. I have a 996 C2 and I dint try to do burning wheelspin starts like on the telly...but I have wondered how easy they are to do. I know how to DO them but I would have thought that even a C2 has enough grip in the dry to make leaving black lines difficult. I habent tried bouncing on the limiter and dumoing the clutch but I have done some spirited atarts with no spin...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41585

Thanks Mick,

I will have to try the car in 3rd and 4th ( :wink: ). If the clutch plate is burn't I preume the damage is permanent until its replaced.

Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41592

Not so much the plate's burnt, just worn and start slipping. Replacement inc labour @£1k

Give those kids in Saxo a chance, start in 2nd gear! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41603

Totally agree with Butzi. The C4 has that much more grip that the clutch in general will not last as long as a C2 as it has more work to do. If you do dump the clutch at high revs you will go through it in a hurry.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41643

Thanks for the advice, out of interest how long should a clutch last in a Porsche given sensible driving?

Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41680

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by simon yap on 05 January 2006
Thanks for the advice, out of interest how long should a clutch last in a Porsche given sensible driving?
Simon

Every car differs, however if you own it from new and no track days and no faults and only small amount of the time spritied driving I would expect to get at least 40 - 50 k from a clutch.

However this can drop to 20k with heavy driving all the time.

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41684

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back