Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Axle Whine

Tom Mason

I have a 99 T carrera 2 cab and have noticed what seems to be axle whine as speed builds. Performance is not affected but it is becoming a bit tiresome and is ruining the sound of my sports exhausts!!

Has anyone any experience of this and if so am I in for a big shock? I would be grateful for any help prior to a garage inspecting and whacking me for something more serious!

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41528

does the noise dissapear when you dip the clutch?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41531

if the noise goes when coasting then it could possibly be a wheel bearing - if not hmm, could be a gear box - try it later and let me know

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41533

it definitely gets worse when I accelerate

thanks for the help so far

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41535

Hi All,

Mine does the same..perhaps I only notice it in 4th but it seems worse then. It dosent completely go when I dip the clutch but it is worse when accelerating. The OPC replaced the clutch about 3 months ago and drove it only 2 weeks ago so if it was something wrong surely they would tell me? Or is that asking too much???

I also thought that perhaps its just me being picky.. My old car was a BM and so quiet that perhaps its normal and I just notice it more?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41536

High- or low-pitched? A low-pitched 'moan' in my Audi A4 ceased when I changed the worn rear tyres (it wasn't SWMBO...)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41537

I have new tyres on the car. One of my passengers commented on the noise and said it sounded like axle whine and could be a bearing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41538

Ah well a picture is emerging here... I just had new tyres too and I never noticed it before...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41540

thats ok - eliminate simple things like tyre noise from tread depth and pressures but if its so loud its drowning out the sports exhaust, it will probably be a wheel bearing

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41541

Oh mine is not very loud at all. In fact no-one else has ever mentioned it and I do have to turn the radio off to hear it.

How loud is yours really Tom?Can you hear it with the radio on?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41542

not when it is on normally. The noise is not right and sounds very bearingish...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41544

pirelli p zero Assimetricos are notorious for a whineing noise, sometimes sounds like you have a stone between the brake disc and the pads

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41550

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back