Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mobile Phone Scam

mark pearce

Singapore
Just found on my bill £30 of Text Info Service Text Fees

I've been getting a Text saying you rbalance is £600 the next question is

The scammers have been charging my vodafone bill £1.30 a go for something i've never answered or asked for

Co that run the service is Cumulus Technology in Bath,

Director martin Stanton

Love to get hold of his Personal Number

Check your bills carefully

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41407

How did it work, did you have to open his text message to get charged? Did you get your £ back at the end?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41410

I just started receiving a daily text, that i deleted, then noticed an extra £30 at the bottom of my phone bill

Now i've got to try and get the money back,

usual row with a call centre and no one wants to know, even though i've got 2 phones , a blackberry, a laptop connect card and been with vodafone for 18 years

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41415

i was under the impression that you had to respond to these texts to be charged,

though another scam is you find missed calls on you're mobile return the call and get charged premium rate for the calls.

good luck getting a refund.

daz
c4s

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41416

never replied to any of them

just deleted them

i only send about 4 texts a month( easier to phone then type)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41418

eeek, got stuffed even when you deleted it. That's frightenning, I deleted a few rubbish texts too, so I'd better go and check my bills!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41430

Police? Local trading standards? Citizen's Advice Bureau? Lawyer? You've got a company and an individual's name...

Sounds like criminal activity to me. Pursue it hard, mate. I guess these days £30 is almost neither here nor there, but these b***ards need stamping on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41440

Got a refund from vodafone, though untill i get the next bill i'm not sure its enough,

Vodafone reckon that unless you tell them to stop by sending a reply text with stop in capital letters, its perfectly legit?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41442

Bath isn't that big. How about inviting Mr Stanton for a game of baseball :twisted:

Failing that, if you've been with Vodaphone for 18 years (shame on you Mark, don't they sponsor Ferrari?) I bet that if you threatened to take your business to O2, they'd persue it for you, and of course all their other customers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41444

2 X M Stantons in the Bath Phone Book, I looked into that one, his co website gives no address or contact details, web search only gives his accountants address!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41445

Sounds like one for Mr Plod. It'll give him something else to do rather than nicking motorists.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41447

Thanks mark. Sounds like the next big thing if it's legit. I certainly can't remember the last time that I looked at my mobile phone bill !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41450

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 01 January 2006

Apparently all legal

vodafone tell me its a legitimate practice!!
:eek: :? :evil:
Unbelievable...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41458

Bit late to the trail but may be of use / interest. Unsolicited spam sent to mobiles is certainly not legitimate practice. In the UK it contravenes the Privacy & Electronic Comms Regs 2003. Vodafone users can forward such text messages foc to VSPAM (87726) for consolidated reporting to ICSTIS. See
http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9569.shtml
for more info.

The type of thing experienced by Mark (snappily titled 'reverse billed SMS') is usually initiated by calling a 4 or 5 digit 'short code' text number. It then triggers premium rate text messages being sent & billed to your mobile number. Sending the word 'stop' (without the quotes) to the short code number should always work. See
http://www.icstis.org.uk/consumers/faqs/reverse_billed_SMS.asp

Your bill will show whether or not a text was sent to a short code number (it's usually found that a 'friend' or colleague is to blame in this sort of case). ICSTIS provide a complaints service - if it turns out that a short code was never dialled from your phone I'm sure they'd be very interested to hear from you! Similarly, you could complain to the Information Commissioner using the following form
http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/cms/DocumentUploads/Electronic_Mail_Complaint2.pdf

As ever, legal remedies are a lot less exciting than a baseball bat!!

Now, if only I knew as much about buying s/h 996s.............

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41459

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back