Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear Main Oil Seal

The Poet

postamble();
Sure I've seen a number of posts on this topic before but thought I'd add my experience for good measure. Picked my 53 plate 996 Targa up from the OPC having bought it only a couple of weeks ago. Last week I noticed a small puddle of oil and thought uh-oh could it be.

Had the car checked out and found it is indeed the rear main oil seal, which I understand to be a common problem - but I thought with earlier cars??!

Anyway my comments are - shouldn't they have picked this up in the inspection on preparation for sale? but saying that the service I've received from them has been first rate, ain't it great to feel like a customer

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39998

I also thought RMS affected <2002 cars. Buying from an OPC you must have got some warranty with the car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40003

Seeing as 997s also get RMS problems it's definately not restricted to < 2002

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40004

There was some discussion that facelift cars were less prone to RMS, but this is myth.

I think it can be quite hard picking up. I had my car inspected by Peter Morgan and he found a 'sweat'. He didn't think it would develop in to full blown RMS, but said it was hard to be certain. Either way he said it would be covered under my warranty should it develop. I would imagine the OPC should fix it FOC.

good luck.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40007

RMS can appear out of no where...... so you are unlucky, although they may say it can be left till a clutch change, get it fixed asap !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40019

postamble();
Yep I'm fine on the warranty front with the extended one (whatever that is!)

the dealer offered to book it in for me, but as I'm going to be in Reading for the rest of the week AFN were able to slot the car in on Thursday with only 2 days notice , which brings me back to my original point about the OPC's being so darn good :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40058

RMS can appear out of no where...... so you are unlucky, although they may say it can be left till a clutch change, get it fixed asap !

-------------
993 Targa Manual

Pardon my ignorance, but what damage does it cause if you dont fix it straight away?

Daz.

C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40087

The waranty I have with mine specifically states the the rear oil seal is not covered. It it not an OPC one though, just the one provided by Autobahn. They were very clear when I bought it about this point.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40101

if left unattended a rear main oil seal leak can contaminate the clutch plate on a manual transmission model which probably wont be covered under warranty - also make sure they put new engine oil back in because porsche warranty dont pay for that and they will just put the old oil back into the engine! if you are gonna leave it, make sure you check the oil level regularly - these engines take about 8.5 litres of oil. if out of warranty will be a very expensive job - approx 6 hours of labour for a manual and facelift tiptronics you have to remove the engine to take the box out so beware!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40108

It hasnt happened but if it did would I be covered with an extended OPC wtty,

Daz.

C4S 2003

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40133

Daz, the OPC ext warranty does cover RMS but my recent experiences suggest not much else.

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40156

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back