Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911, 1983 sc sport, spoiler removal ??

ddd

just bought an old 1983 , with the fixed spoiler on back.

car needs some work done to it, and the spoiler probably needs replaced aswell.(alot of bolts also missing underneath)

is it possible just to take it off and replace it with a grill?> like the later 964 model ?

i heard rumours abou the areodynamics will be affected, but surely for non race course driving it wouldnt make much difference ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38617

I'm sure the other guys will give you the proper answer soon. As far as I know, you need to change the engine bay lid if you want to get rid of the spoiler. The 964 has a motorised self raising spoiler which, I don't think will fit the earlier 911.

Aerodynamiclly if you remove the rear spoiler, you should also change the front ones. But I guess on road speed, I doubt it'll have any detrimental effect.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38623

thanks for reply.

yeh, i wouldnt even want the motorised spoiler, would just take it off and leave it empy.

can you buy the gril things or engine bay lids as a stand alone product ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38636

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ddd on 24 November 2005

thanks for reply.

yeh, i wouldnt even want the motorised spoiler, would just take it off and leave it empy.

can you buy the gril things or engine bay lids as a stand alone product ?

try eBay or any Porsche breaker advertising in the Porsche mags

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38637

you either need a new engine lid

or you get a grill for the old one

fill the bolt holes that are left

and respray the engine lid

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38642

Much better looking - take it off and leave it off IMHO!!

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38645

I loved the whale tail on my old SC. It may age the car, but I think they are far more striking to look at with the spoiler.

Can anyone recommend a tasteful rear spoiler for a 996 cab?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38648

ddd,

I removed the whale tail from my old 3.2 Carrera. It's not a difficult job, but as otheres have said you have two options.

1.) Keep the existing engine lid. You will however have to get the spoiler bolt holes welded up and buy a grille for the big hole.

2.) Buy a 2nd hand non-spoiler lid with a grille and no bolt holes and have it sprayed up.

At the end of the day there's not much in it cost-wise. I would buy which ever you come across first. If you find a lid first then go the replacement route, if you happen to find a grille first then go the weld-up route. These bits are always for sale on e-Bay, Pistonheads, back of the Porsche mags etc. Expect to pay around £200 for a new lid or £80 for a grille.

In theory if you remove the rear spoiler you should also remove the front spoiler lip, but I didn't and never had a problem. As I understand it the aerodynamic benefits aren't really noticeable until some big three figure speeds. What I did notice was a slight increase in sensitivity to side winds, though to be honest that could have had just as much to do with tired shocks and poor set-up as with aerodynamic effects.

I say 'go for it' I much prefer the de-spoilered look !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38669

thanks alot guys.

one more question - what happens to rear window wiper ?

as that is wired up to the spoiler ??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38692

Coudn't the SC and subsequent models be ordered without the Sports Equipment package?

Clearly Mark is in the trade so he will know what can be done but I've seen plenty of letters about adding and removing the rear spoiler, all of which involved changing the engine compartment lid. Can't remember anything about the wiper but would have thought the issues would be the arm geometry and engine clearance. You'll find out when you find a new lid.

Personally, that's what I'd do as you'd then be able to sell the car on with the choice of look for subsequent owners. Only problem is the panel alignment. Aren't they hand made and the hinges "adjusted" to suit?

There is an effect on the aerodynamics. I read a letter or article by Paul Frere (?) saying that he ordered a car without the spoiler package and noticed how differently it handled. Jamie is probably right about the limits at which it becomes noticable, which I am assured are more obvious at well over the legal limit. :oops:

It would be interesting to see one done with the front and back cleaned up but what are you goign to do about the bumpers?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38707

Have a look at Paul Stephens web site.

There's an SC targa without the rear spoiler but with a rear screen wiper.

Also a 911S. No spoilers at all but still impact bumpers. V Nice.

Helps prove the point ddd :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38714

maybe i'm shallow and showy but i prefer the looks of a 70/80,s 911 with the whale tail

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38724

thanks for all the replies :)

well when i bought the car it had already been updated with the 964 bodykit, so it doesnt really look like the 1983 version.

would a ducktail spoiler look any good on this type of car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38751

Oh dear. Don't think you are going to get back to the original look as presumably the 964 body kit means the original valances have been altered. Have you checked?

A plain boot lid may give the car a 964 look. Maybe Mark or others would know whether this styling was brought in just for pedestrian safety or whether it was the start of underbody aero dynamics rather than the top down wings of the 70' and 80's

I'm with Roddy on the spoiler bit but then I would be.

With all due respect, you may be making the same mistake I made when I started my ownership. I spent a lot of time looking at alterations and "improvements" instead of enjoying the car for what it is. You might just find after some time has passed that you want to move on to something else, or buy another one to make fit the bill. And that is the beginning ....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38758

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ddd on 25 November 2005

would a ducktail spoiler look any good on this type of car?

IMHO the ducktail only suits the pre-impact bumper 911's

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38765

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back