Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Targa rattles

Tom Robinson

Hi guys, I ma new to this forum and looking to get hold of an early 2002 black 996 targa with less than 25k miles......

Q1) Does the roof rattle ? I have heard mixed reports of the glass roof and the mechanics of it. Some owners say its a delight, others say a hassle.

Q2) What can I expect to pay for one that has a high spec incl nav but with less than 25k miles ?Thanks for the advice

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37877

Hi Tom. If you do get one, you'll be only the 4th (I think) person on here with one.

Yes they do rattle but then, when the roof is back, you can't hear it.

Mine seems to rattle more with the blind closed but then the whole rattle thing is more a product of
cr@p
British roads.

Cost wise, I guess you're looking low to mid £40's for the age and mileage you're after but I'm sure that Mark Pearce will step in and put me right here. OPC cars have now dropped below £50k for a 2003 model.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37922

Welcome Tom,

I can only speak for a 993 targa, and the 996 targa should be better... mine rattles very little, except on rough surfaces. Most impressive all in all, esp for a 10 yr old car!

I reckon around £45k should get you a nice one.

Drive a few, I suspect they will vary from a rattle point of view...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37925

Thanks Robert and seagull for your comments, i have been offered a 52 plate silver one from a guy at work. 12k miles, no sat nav but all other usual extras...what do you think its worth ? 40k too little - its mint

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38243

If you can get it for £40k Tom, I think you will have got a bargain. Still get it inspected though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38374

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 21 November 2005

If you can get it for £40k Tom, I think you will have got a bargain. Still get it inspected though.
exactly, on both counts !

and better after-market sat nav is an easy fit..... porsche stuff looks the part but is sadly very poor

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38377

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 21 November 2005

exactly, on both counts !

and better after-market sat nav is an easy fit..... porsche stuff looks the part but is sadly very poor
Which would you recommend?

When I got my car I didn't spec satnav for the very reason that Porsche's version is dreadful. Now i think I need it as my wife's map-reading has dropped to new levels of despair...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38403

Tom Tom Go is the way to Go !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38586

Just a point on map reading:- I was driving through Ireland with my wife navigating and I had a sneaky feeling we were lost. Conversation went like this...

Me: "Darling I think we may be a little bit lost"

Her: " Nope, we are fine I know exactly where we are"

Me: "Darling I think not" ( I think the word Darling was substituted at this stage)

Her: "We are following this blue road on the map"

Me: "Which blue road... Show me"

Her: "This blue road" (points to map)

Me: "That is the River Shannon!"

This was followed by a glare and a humph.

Anyway got a Tom Tom Go and she hasn't got lost since

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38615

Yes thanks chaps for the replys....have seen it and its mint inside but 2 wheels need a minor referb as the have scraped against kerbs when parking...not serious but would like to know what cost is to referb 2 18" carrera wheels?

Also it says "manuelle" on the air con display !!!??? is that normal or dodgy ?

Also it has cassette holders under the stereo ??? But is sounds great, i have been offered it by the seller for the weekend to test drive.....what should i look out for ?

Appreciate all the help lads THANKS

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38622

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back