Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitting a new steering wheel...

Robertb

I've just bought a s/h 3 spoke 996 wheel from Porsch-Apart (a useful 25% cheaper than the new price incidentally).

I've been told it is an easy fit, but a bit worried about being nuked by the airbag... anyone here changed an airbag wheel and can offer tips/advice?

Thanks

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37249

i think the airbag just unscrews as a complete unit - once you have unplugged it of course - have a look on p-car.com - im sure ive seen "changing a steering wheel" in the DIY section.

Good luck and dont forget to post some pics once the job is done.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37252

Thanks Warren,

I've just had a look at P-car and there isn't a "changing steering wheel" topic per se... pity.

Regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37253

i had a look at p-car as well, and i couldnt see one either - sorry about the duff info, but i've seen it somewhere recently - maybe a letter in the last edition of 911 &PW ??

Failing that - maybe give the boys at Northway or the chaps in wallingford (forgotten their name) a call for a bit of advice?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37254

from what I recall, when you have located the 2 bolts in the back, then it is a simple unscrew process, but don't forget to turn off the battery 1st....

but can't recall how to take off the front cover (!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37256

When I did mine it was really easy. Remmember to disconnect the battery first!!

2 Torx screws from the back will realease the horn/airbag unit, then you can access the main mounting nut when you unplug everything.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37257

I don't know about newer air bags, but when they were first used, the air bag was fired by a capacitor and you had to disconnect the -ve battery lead and leave for about 20 - 30 mins to let the capacitor discharge before attempting to remove it.

Hope that helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37275

Bill,

Best to disconnect the battery and leave it as seagull says for at least 20 mins. I have taken my wheel off a couple of times and that is what I did.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37295

Robert, it's a straight swap and very simple job to do. I fitted my 996 wheel while being supervised by one of the chaps at Northway, and it worked for me! You do not need to disconnect the battery on a 993 (but you do on a 996), just make sure the ignition key is removed from the ignition barrell. Two T27 bolts hold the airbag to the steering wheel - accessed from the back of the wheel. Remove the airbag and disconnect the yellow plugged wire from the back of the airbag. Next disconnect the wires attached to the steering wheel for the horn. The centre nut holding the wheel on is 23mm - remove the steering wheel.

996 wheel fits on exactly like the 993 wheel. Just be careful of the black plastic disc on the face of the steering column - it has a protruding lug which needs to locate into the back of the steering wheel. Make sure you line this up correctly and don't force it as it's easy to break and expensive, I'm told.

Hope this helps. Or if you're unsure I'm happy to help you, PM me and we can meet up since I'm only down the road.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37297

Thanks very much everyone for the advice and info.

I'll give it a go...

993_2S, thanks for the instructions and your kind offer, and I'll be in touch if it all goes horribly wrong... :?

Cheers

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37312

however to test a theory, see if you can do it without unplugging the battery and let us know how you get on... (for experimental purposes of course !)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37315

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 08 November 2005
however to test a theory, see if you can do it without unplugging the battery and let us know how you get on... (for experimental purposes of course !)

And dont forget to flim it (well if you send the video in to sky your get £200 to help of set the cost of the new airbag)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37330

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robert Bill on 08 November 2005

993_2S, thanks for the instructions and your kind offer, and I'll be in touch if it all goes horribly wrong... :?
Robert if it all goes horribly wrong it may just be the wife sending your obitury :wink:
!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37331

As far as I can recall, the worst that can happen if you don't disconnect is the computer will show the airbag warning light, which need to be reset by ?OPC. I'd still stand back when you do it though, just in case! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37335

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back