Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension upgrade

Maxy M

Barcelona
I've been musing on this from time to time...

Just talked to JZ who recommended their Roock kit for circa £2K fitted. On the other hand I could buy H&R springs plus Bilsteins from Gert for €1060 (say 700 quid), get them fitted and save myself 500 notes plus the VAT.

Butzi has the Roock set-up, as did Poon, and I know from them it's good. Is the Gert route so bad for road use?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36610

I thought JZ stopped doing Roock kit?

I'm sure it'll be hard to tell the difference, heck I didn't even realise how bad the shocks were until they were changed! Unless you're a really good driver driving on the track, I'm sure the DIY kit would be just as good. I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36613

DIY fitting? Ya gotta be kiddin'!! I'm working on the basis that the Roock kit (acording to JZ this am) is £1200, so with the stuff from Gert I'm around 500 quid ahead...

Ta for the info, Mick.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36618

and also you need RS wishones and new ball joints and anti-roll bar drop link, for the full effect !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36621

the roock kit is designed specifically for the 993 and the shocks and springs were matched together, whereas the H&R's and Bilsteins were notspecifically designed together. it is my beleif that the roock kit would be superior, or the manthey if that is now what they are recommending.

as mick said you would not probably notice the difference in normal driving. i went for the roocks primarily because that is what Steve at jz recommended and i trust his and Jonas's judgement.

you could save £500 but if/when something goes wrong you can't just take the car back to where it was fitted because there will always be an element of "well we didn't supply the kit" blah blah.

the car is worth circa £28k, i couldn't be bothered with the hassle, so I took it to JZ.

just my 2penneth.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36622

I have the Bilstein/H&R kit from Gert and it is fantastic. You are buying quality items so if they fail they are covered under warranty and so would the workmanship if you go to a reputable company to fit them. You will also find that Gert has a reputation for customer service that is second to none.

I would reckon that the kit from Gert is fitted in a very high proportion of 993's, just go onto Rennlist and find out. Or look at it another way, there are still people who have never changed there suspension because they think it is OK, when it is not, or you could be skilled enough to realise they OEM dampers are not of good quality and get them taken out ASAP.

It comes down to personal choice, I went through all the alternatives and am absolutley delighted with the choice I made and what it has done to the car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36628

Thanks, guys. Anyone else got a view?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36630

would agree with the 17th Shed, a lot fo folk have gone down the Bilstein route without any issues... in fact they are all good combo's

it all comes to what set up you want and how much you want to send...

Maxy, what kind of mileage do you have on the 993 ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36637

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 29 October 2005

Maxy, what kind of mileage do you have on the 993 ?
80.5K. It's had new shocks, but the wisbones need doing (well it's the ball joints, and JZ seem very anti polyurethane) and I'm thinking that new springs and shocks will go with that nicely, and it might be good to lower it a fraction too. All that will need a new alignment set-up. And new tyres soon anyway.

Does that sound a pack of worthwhile improvements?

Add a new chip for more torque (it's a pre-Vario). And a short-shifter from Gert (I want to check yours out, Sundeep). Plus a new rear reflector panel (mine's dull).

Sounds like a tasty, rather rejuvenated motor, I feel...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36639

New wishbones, shocks, tyres and proper alignment, it'll feel like a different car for the better.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36640

Hi, I went through the exact same deliberation and research as you and ended up with Gerts recco. Feels great all round and never looked back.

Mike

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36738

I've just had my suspension uprated with adjustable AST coilovers. They are pretty much the same as Bilstein PSS9s but alot cheaper. Beautiful machined aluminium copper colour with top mounted knurled knobs for adjusting the damping rate. Haven't had chance to give it a go on the track but it's definitely made the car feel alot 'tauter'. I considered the Bilstein HDs and PSS9s but in the end went with the ASTs as they give PSS9 adjustability for HD price (I run Bilsteins on my M3 and they are great, first impressions of the ASTs are good too)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37653

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back