Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Suspension/Handling

Ray

Monza
Sorry in advance guys, but this will be a long post.

Ive had my 993 for about 6 months and I suppose starting to push it a little bit further now.

The car has the factory sport suspension and 18" turbo alloys. The car seems to tramline a bit and get thrown off line by bumps especially at speed.

The front tyres were already quite worn on the insides when I got the car and will need replacing soon, the rears are nearly new. There was also a note on the PPI that one of the front wishbone bushes was worn or cracked.

I intend to get a couple of new tyres on the front before I have it MOT'd in a few months time and have a full 24K service (Its only done 23K at present) I was also going to have a 4 wheel alighnment done to correct the uneven wear.

Do you think I may have worn out shocks etc at this mileage? or do you think it may be down to the faults I have indicated.?

There is a slight problem with the tyres in that they are all N1 Conti sports at present, I will have to fit N2 on the front as you can't get the N1 rated anymore. I don't really want to change the rears as well as they have got at least 7mm on them!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36527

I had the problem of tramlining and being deflected by bumps - made motorway lane changes quite an adventure at times. Turned out the front wishbone bushes were knackered. Changing those, a full set of new Conti Sport N2s and a geometry alignment sorted things out. Not cheap tho'

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36533

richard - what did it cost you for the wish bones to be changed?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36538

Warren, the wishbones themselves were somewhere around £320 for the pair, but I can't say how much the labour was as that is quoted as a lump sum figure for all the other work I had done at the same time at JZM. I know there is an alternative which I think involves pressing new bushes into the wishbones rather than replacing the whole assembly which is a bit cheaper, but I only found out about this after the event!

I'm sure someone who knows a bit more wll be along soon to advise on this one.

Regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36541

wishbones can in theory last for 60-70k miles 'ish, if you are changing then for an extra £20 per side it is worth getting the RS spec wishbones, which have a thicker rubber piece

getting thrown off line by bumps can be a common occurance on any car with lowered and sports suspension, although worm wishbone will heighten this problem..

also it would be worth while getting the ball joints changed as well, which link to the wishbones... as you will need a full suspension set up again anyway

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36549

i find that most 993's i buy need the wishbone bushes doing

My local OPC assure me its cheaper to change the whole wish bone rather than the bushes, you pay more for a complete wishbonebut its cheaper to fit,

then yoiu need a 4 wheel alignment check

comes to about £700 from memory plus the vat

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36551

Hey maxy - i couldnt find anything on that site re wishbones.... :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36555

When I needed the wishbones changing earlier this year, I considered the powerflex option too.

Seams like a good idea but, taking into account the labour charge, it's not that much cheaper. You have a non-Porsche product which has not been on the market for that long, and you still have the old metal bits that may or may not be in good shape.

At the end I decided to go for the RS wishbones, only slightly more than the standard ones. At least now I know it's gonna be good for another 5-10 yrs.

I'm sure you'll find the car drives much better with the wishbones, geometry and tyres sorted. As far as I know, the rubber bits like bushes are more age related, whereas the shocks are more milage related. They might be ok at this milage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36588

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Ill discuss the options with the guys at PCT when it goes in after xmas.

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36689

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 28 October 2005

Hey maxy - i couldnt find anything on that site re wishbones.... :?
Sorry, either I mislabelled this in my 'favourites' or they don't do them any more. (More likely the former...) :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36698

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back