Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2 things

smtk

Paul Ricard
What is a Right hand steering rack gaitor and if it was cracked would it be bad

Turbo waste gate flushing. Whats this do, how much does it cost and would warrenty cover it?

ty
Yes I am ***** about my car

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35964

Turbo waster gate, is the dump valve, i.e. where the whoosh comes from ! and the valve between sending air to the turbo and releasing excess air not used, as on my last TT (sadly no this one but the other one !)

and is easy cheap to replace and upgrade if faulty..... assuming porsch use a plastic Bosch type, better to replace with an after market aluminum version...

as for the other question, can't really comment on alligators, too technical...but cracking and steering in the same sentence sounds 'not that great'

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35967

i would imagine its very similar to a CV-boot on a FWD car..........if thats cracked/ripped/holed then its something you try and get sorted asap before it knackers the CV-joint(for which read steering rack in your case)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35974

“Right hand steering rack gaitor”

Well from what Northways said to me on the phone its too stop the crap from the road getting into the steering (or something I was in a builder’s yard at the time with 2 trucks and a fork lift moving around)

I was talking to a friend in regards to the waste gate. His job is to teach people how to service AGCO trackers. He told me that if you have carbon build up on the waste gate then you would have it on the fins and they would need to be cleaned too. So does flushing the waste gate entail this? He also said carbon build up is a symptom of burning oil which is bad. And he has no idea what a gaitor is but said it might be a steering boot

They also thought my lights where from a LHD as they were Xenons :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35976

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Roddy Kennedy on 20 October 2005
i would imagine its very similar to a CV-boot on a FWD car..........if thats cracked/ripped/holed then its something you try and get sorted asap before it knackers the CV-joint(for which read steering rack in your case)

Eeep!

You think this is covered under warranty?

Autobahn (PCT) said they did a 92 point check. Should they not have spotted these things? I'm starting to think their check list reads something like this

• daily star - check
  • 1/2 pint of milk -check
  • Cup of tea - check
  • 2 sugars - check
  • check engine light -check[list:t0joct4s2W]check checks are checked - check

Also for those who remember Aceparts told me that the 'check engine' light mostly likely would be an O2 sensor which I told autobahn yet they didn’t change it. Northways eye balled it right off the bait in under 5mins. And should I be paying on my CC for warranty work and getting refund or should Autobahn pick up the tab direct?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35977

i'm sure its nothing too serious to worry about.......most cars especially town driven cars have some form of carbon build up in the engine and exhaust system..........just get the wastegate cleaned/replaced and it should be ding-dang-do

Northway's spot on about the gaitor btw.......it'll be packed with grease (if its like a CV-boot)and any foreign body getting into it will be detrimental to the life of the component that its protecting........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35978

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk on 20 October 2005

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Roddy Kennedy on 20 October 2005

Eeep!You think this is covered under warranty?Autobahn (PCT) said they did a 92 point check. Should they not have spotted these things? I'm starting to think their check list reads something like this

• daily star - check
    [list:yeoxlxxWmn]1/2 pint of milk -check
    [list:yeoxlxxWmn]Cup of tea - check
    [list:yeoxlxxWmn]2 sugars - check
    [list:yeoxlxxWmn]check engine light -check
    [list:yeoxlxxWmn]check checks are checked - check
Also for those who remember Aceparts told me that the 'check engine' light mostly likely would be an O2 sensor which I told autobahn yet they didn’t change it. Northways eye balled it right off the bait in under 5mins. And should I be paying on my CC for warranty work and getting refund or should Autobahn pick up the tab direct?

i'd be giving them the benefit of the doubt........if the gaitor had been like that prior to you purchasing the car then it probably would have failed its MOT(CV-boot's that are ripped are a MOT failure,so i would imagine same applies to steering rack ones)

not sure the story with the wastegate tho

the steering rack gaitor is more than likely a wear n tear item i'm afraid to say............your wastegate,unless it had failed would probably not be covered either

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35979

Oh poo :(
Well i ring Autobahn and see massage something out of them.

ty both for the insights

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35980

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk on 20 October 2005

Oh poo :(Well i ring Autobahn and see massage something out of them.ty both for the insights

shouldn't be the end of the world tho

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35981

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk on 19 October 2005

What is a Right hand steering rack gaitor and if it was cracked would it be badTurbo waste gate flushing. Whats this do, how much does it cost and would warrenty cover it?tyYes I am ***** about my car

The steering rack gaitor is no big issue, I recently had to replace mine on the C2. the part was £3 + vat from Eurocarparts and it takes about an hour to fit and check the wheel alignment.

How turbos work can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

The wastegate is part of the turbo and is a diaphram operated flap in the exhaust port of the turbo. Carbon build up will occur in time due to fuel contaminates and if any oil is being burnt. There is a product called Forte Gas Treatment approx £12.50
www.forteuk.co.uk
which you put in the fuel tank. This will help to remove the carbon build up, it also cleans the Lamda sensors, the cats and generally improves the emission levels for the MOT.

I have just checked the turbo`s on my 993tt due to another common problem, blue smoke on starting it up after a few days stood shortly after a service,. The car has only done 23k so I didn`t think there was anything wrong with the engine, so further investigation was called for. On removing all the pipework, oil was found in the inlet pipes to the turbo, in the turbo and from the turbo to intercooler. Consequently, the engine was sucking oil through the inlet system and turbos and exhausting it out as blue smoke. I did a bit of digging on the net and found out a possible cause for this is a faulty relief valve on the oil filter, which were genuine Porsche items! Replacing both the oil filters with quality non genuine items and washing out all the pipe work has cured my blue smoking problem.

Getting back to the original issue, if this problem is left unattended to, it will increase the carbon build up on the turbo/exhaust components. I put a tin of Forte Gas Treatment in the cars every service to keep the lambda sensors and cats nice and clean.

Dave

97 993tt

96 993C2

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36012

BTW after a nights sleep I just like to say

Autobahn are really nice guys. Paul in particular. Most dealers see a 23 year old coming in to buy a car like this and either look at you like your the scum of the earth or your a time waster (sometimes both in the case of a Fulham independent)

Where as Paul treated me just like any one else with respect I would expect. He’s honest and straight down the line chap. He knows he doesn’t have to push the product because it stands on its own merits.

However there mechanic side lets them down and I hate having to ring them up about problems because I feel I’m being pedantic

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36014

Thank you David thats explains things pretty clearly :)

(every time i write a post by the time i have finished some one else has replied :p )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36016

FYI a cracked or perished rack boot will not fail an MOT, but a split or torn one will. But that's because passing an MOT is about meeting MINIMUM requirements.

On a 92 point check it should have been spotted and you should have been advised

Change it before the crack becomes a split - it's gonna get cold soon and that won't help.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36048

OH followed by another 4 letter word

I spoke to northways and they said on a Porsche they have something like a waste get but called a vacuum something and to replace them would be £460 +VAT for each one plus 6 hours labor

Holy cat man doo

Please tell me there is something to make this pill easier to swallow. I think they are getting their parts from OPC. And they said that they would take it apart and have a look to see if they could fix it with out replacing anything.

I don’t seem to be a tight ass but dropping £1200 quid + VAT make me feel queasy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36431

Ok i found these

[u:uzh17us0vO]

At ninemeister, thats £400 (inc vat/shipping) for 2

Man it just hasnt been my week i think i'm just going to go to bed and wake up next monday :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36439

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back