Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

need advice

maxx

Hey guys, I've found a reasonably priced 996 turbo - year 2002, 29,000kms mileage. The car has been well taken care of (seems like it coz the salesman said so (no accidents, british owned) and the interior is almost brand new). They are asking $68,500 for it. I find the price quite decent and the car is lovely.

Now, the problem is - I won't be getting a warranty on it. Apparently, the previous owner changed the exhaust and pcm? unit. I got a condition report for the car and it has a few problems. First of all , the airbag control unit needs to be replaced, secondly, it says - engine tuned, the turbo pressure goes down to 0.4 bar instead of a normal 0.9 bar.

I dont really know what that means, could it be a problem? and how risky is it to own a turbo without warranty (I dont wanna spend a fortune on repairs). The modded exhaust is louder and i has a weird rattling noise in the end after reving. Is that normal?

should I go ahead and buy the car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35625

hmmm i would be extremely cautious if spending $68k on a car without a warranty especially if its from a "trader"..surely he could find a warranty company willing to underwrite it too..tho as its Dubai not sure on their Motor legs etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35626

Its for sale by the dealers in Dubai. They said theres nothing wrong with the car but then why arent they giving me a warranty? they said the reason is coz the exhaust isnt a porsche exhaust..

i have an option to change the exhausts to normal and get a warranty but for $7,000. Worth it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35627

get the local porsche dealer to give an 111 point check,

they'll tell you whats wrong

negotiate the price

get the warranty

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35628

I was concerned about the warranty situation on my car. I've had it from new so i've still got some warranty left and i wanted to change a couple of things. I spoke to my opc who said that anything changed on the car would not be covered...and that also means anything that the part is connected to. For example if you put a supercharger on you would invalidate the warranty on the whole engine, possibly the gear box because of the increased power and so on. Changing the exhaust is no reason to invalidate the warranty on the whole car.

I think if you buy that car you will always wonder whats going to go wrong with it and therefore not enjoy it as much as you should. The dealer has put a question mark over the car by saying it's ok but we're not giving it a warranty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35632

Trust your instincts - "when in doubt leave it out!"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35639

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back