Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic Driving Technique

Pete Melsom

Silverstone
I posted this question last week in the wrong forum and subsequently didn't get any replies, so I thought i would try again here.....

I'm new to Porsche, 993 & Tiptronic and I have a question..... when in auto mode my '96 993 Targa Tiptronic occasionally 'chugs' (slight kangarooing effect) when changing up at slow speeds (20 to 30 mph) i.e. from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. Is it my novice driving technique or do I need to get it looked at? Perhaps I need to switch to manual mode at these speeds? I'm also worried that it might be harming my transmission. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35312

Hi Pete

I never had any chugging on my previous 993 Cab tip. It always felt better keeping the revs higher tho and have to confess that I very rarely had it in auto mode. (that was Mrs H mode along with the drivers arm rest) Transmission harm is quite rare on the tip boxes as they have an indestructible reputation unless insanely abused. Probably worth getting a good independant to have a gander at it and put your mind at rest Sorry I cant be more help

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35317

It maybe that you are using too light a throttle style of driving and the box is hesitating in super lazy mode.

Try a sharp blip on accelerator to sharpen up the program or select 3 auto when driving around town.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35591

Guys, thanks for your help, I've been following your advice regarding keeping the revs higher and selecting auto 3 around town, and subsequently the chugging has stopped, so it was down to my driving technique and not a problem with the car. I'm now beginning to realise just how complex the tiptronic box is and it's taking me longer to get to grips with it than I expected.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36397

"Tip" tip No.2

When changing gear manually, always either be on the gas or on the brakes, otherwise you can induce the "chug".

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36437

I don't wish to put a damper on things but I drive mine 90% of the time in auto mode and don't do anything special with my driving technique and never have a problem. Maybe its not the box but an engine tuning problem?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36446

Mr Bird,

Have you ever been dawdling along, roof back, the Raybans working overtime and that soft breeze gently caressing your temples as you catch the odd glimpse of that sexy body, slightly distorted, reflected by the large window panes behind those admiring pedestrians only to find that your autobox has just momentarliy shifted to 4th then back to 3rd ?

Thats the phenomenon I believe Pete could be experiencing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36484

Mark, you described the phenomenon perfectly I think it's something only us Rayban wearing Targa Tip owners will experience.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36498

The sexy bodies converge irresistibly on my coupe...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36502

I was only a shade wrong though, was'nt I

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36531

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back