Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 targa

Zahoor Hussain

I saw a really nice one over the weekend and though a little over budget I began thinking ....

After reading some of the comments (or should I problems!) that owners have had with their targa's, I was wondering whether people had anything to say about their trouble free targa experience ? Problems mainly seem to be with the roof (sounds expensive)! I gather that porsche have stopped making them ? why?

Thanks

Zahoor

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35189

The only problem I have with mine (touch wood) is rattling from the roof/rear hatch. Other than that, it's a fantastic car and probably the best compromise between a coupe and a cabriolet.

There was a brief comment in Autocar a couple of months ago where Porsche UK were asked if they were going to stop importing the Targa because of it's low sales volume to which the reply was a firm NO. As for stopping making them, it remains to be seen whether or not Porsche bring out a 997 version, but reading between the lines, the article seemed to imply that one was on its way.

If you can find one at an independent, they don't seem to charge any more than they do for a coupe so you're getting a £4k extra for free.

If they do stop making them, think about the rarity value.........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35190

Echoing Seagull here, they offer a great advantage over the coupe of being really bright and light inside with the roof closed plus the benefits afforded once the roof is open. I would certainly chose Targa again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35203

Thanks for your informative replies. I've always liked the targa concept.

Seagull, good to hear the "news" from Autocar!

Interesting that they are the same price as a coupe, another incentive (as if any were needed)!

I have only seen facelift 996's are there any with a pre-facelift models out there ? [Checked Autotrader.]

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35209

Thanks Seagull. Looks like it's a convertible and not a targa ( misprint ! ).

Got me a little confused initially as it is a 1999 model and the 996 targa was first introduced as a facelift 2002 model.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37085

I too like the Targa concept. Indeed so much I have bought a 2003 model from Sutton Coldfield Porsche :)
, and hope to pick it up on Monday! I better do I've borrowed more money than I ever dreamed possible on a car and am bricking it now :eek:

I hope that it's a good one like Seagulls, and preferably without the rattle!! I concur on the price - it seems to command almost exactly the same as the C2's being advertised.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38486

Congrats Andrew. You will be number 4 - only another 5,000 to go before we catch up with the 993 Targa crowd on here. What are the specs?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38487

This lot - don't know how much is standard (and the dealer's just hyping the car) and how many are true accessories - be glad of your input:

• 18-inch Turbo Look II wheel (monobloc)
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Alarm system (435 Mhz)
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Automatic air conditioning
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]CD storage
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]CDC-4 six disc CD autochanger
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Cruise control
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Front centre console
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Gear lever and handbrake lever in aluminium
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Headlight pack including cleaning system
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Heated seats
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]On-board computer
[/u:DIN3K0fNQH]
trans.gif

Document.write (fea2);
//-->
  • Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Porsche Crest embossed on head restraints
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Porsche Sound Package with amplifier (digital)
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Porsche Stability Management (PSM)
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Rear section of centre console in exterior colour
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Rear wiper
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Six-speed manual gearbox
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Telephone module for PCM
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Top tinted windscreen
    [list:DIN3K0fNQH]Wheel centre set
[/u:DIN3K0fNQH]

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38489

That is one loaded car. I think the only standards are the windscreen and the wheel centres (unless they're coloured ones) Not sure if 435MHz is a special alarm or not.

The sticker under your bonet must be at least A3 to get that lot on.

Nice one. Pictures a must this weekend. Enjoy it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38497

Where's my jealous
Emoticon ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38514

Dunno if anyone's interested but Maranello Sales have a nice blue Targa for around £44k. They've had it for a while, and experience shows Maranellos will discount quite alot. See
www.maranellosales.com
and look at the 'other makes' stocklist.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38534

Picked mine up yesterday so obviously the comments are to be taken with a pinch of salt...

Drove back from the dealers with a huge grin on my face. Journey of 50 miles was over some very typical British B roads at varying speeds, both legal and also not so - didn't hear a single squeak or rattle.

I've heard the later ones are better in this area (mines a 53 plate)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39013

Nice one Andy. Now drive it in London and enjoy the rattles :wink:

Pictures please

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39030

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Anthony Corbett on 23 November 2005

Where's my jealous
Emoticon ?
You mean 'envious. (There's a difference, you know... :) )

Best thing about 996 targa is the 'hatchback'. Best way of getting things like small children in the rear seats. :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39037

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back