Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil level gauge

Ray

Monza
Morning all

I seem to have a problem with the oil level gauge on my 993. Thats the gauge far left which also houses the fuel level.

It reads red all of the time! is that usual or do I have a faulty gauge or sensor perhaps?

Ive checked the oil level with the engine warm and idling after a 50mile drive and its half way along the twisted bit which is spot on as far as I'm aware?

Any ideas or experiences.

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35173

When driving all oil is in engine for lubrication of rotating and sliding bits - not in tank. (dry sump!) When stopped after 50 miles with engine running for at least 2 minutes, oil goes to tank - and with the engine RUNNING - check the dipstick and the guage.
The guage (the one with oil-can symbol) will now read correctly.

Then obtain and read owners manual which has many other ESSENTIAL facts you need to know about operating the car safely.
:)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35181

Stevo

My point is that the gauge does not move out of the red once the car has been idling for a few minutes after a drive. In fact it never moves out of the red.

As I said in my first post, I checked the oil while the engine was WARM and RUNNING. The gauge was still in the red.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35184

Oil sender or guage failure - try an auto electrician or phone Northways for advice. 0118 971 4333

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35187

I find that my guage sometimes stays in the red zone even after idling for five minutes. I think it is very sensitive to the amount of oil in the car and if it is a little way down the dipstick then it it doesn't register on the in-cvar guage. I've just had the car serviced and now the guage is right at the top of the white zone after 2 seconds idling...you just can't win! :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35208

Now that I've had my car serviced at JZ and refilled with Mobil 1, my oil gauge seems to read higher and gets from the red to about 2 o'clock after a few seconds' idling. As far as I can tell that's with the same level on the dipstick (though with the previous Castrol stuff it was a bit hard to read).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35214

Ray - I 've got exactly the same problem. I'm sure there is a thread on this topic somewhere. I think the jist of it being that it can be rather hit and miss as to whether gauge works. I think thats why I always check my dipstick since reading the thread..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35217

Thanks everyone

I wil add a little oil and keep an eye on the dipstick

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35288

Straight after one of my services my gauge did'nt work for a couple of days (the dipstick read OK) and then it worked fine. I was told that they can sometimes get an airlock.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/msg(1).JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35289

Chap at PCT said don't take much notice of the gauge as they tend to be temperamental. Only ever rely on the dipstick he said...

Better still, he said just bring the car and a can of oil in and they'll check it gratis!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35743

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back