Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First 996 purchase. Please help !

Michael Zapties

OK chaps, here's the rub. I've been looking for a 996 for few weeks. Have narrowed it down to 2, after rejecting a W 2000 Carrera 4 , Tip with loads of extras for £32,995 because of the 55k mileage (I intend to do 12k a year and didn't want to be selling an 80k miles car in 2yrs time).

Car 1 : Y 2001 Carrera 4, pre face lift , 8k miles!, 2 owners, 18in Turbo alloys, usual spec , no Sat Nav, no Tracker. From Official Porsche Centre. £44,995.

Car 2 : 51 2001 Carrera 2, face lift , 36k miles , 4 owners, 18in Carrera alloys, usual spec, no Sat Nav. From independent. £39,995.

Car 1 will have 12mths official warranty, has very low mileage, is a Carrera 4 but no tracker. Car 2 is newer facelift model. Can't decide. Both in great nick. I'm not bothered about a C2 or a C4. It looks to me that the 5k difference in price is wrong. Either Car1 is too cheap (unlikely from an OPC) or Car 2 is too expensive. I suspect the latter. Each dealer has offered 1k off. For 5k extra for Car1 I get a very low mileage car, 12mths warranty, C4 although a little older. Car2's facelift appeals though.

The resale in 18ths is a tough one and crucial to my purchase. My guess is car1 will have 30k mile and I'll get 32k. Car 2 with 55k mile and i'll get 30k.

What d'you guys reckon ???????

Thanks

MZ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34897

Where are you looking Michael? A quick scan of Autotrader brings up quite a few motors in your price range that seem better deals....I would say try to get a facelift model, better engine, bit more storage, in a couple of years time, i think that'll be a differentiator...also think that PCM will help resale, kind of expected in a lux car...

good luck in your search.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34899

Get car 2 but knock the price down more. Buy a separate warranty from Porsche. I reckon facelift cars will fall in price less. I wouldn't get a pre-facelift 996 over a newer version.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34900

yer resale will also depend on their respective colours/interior combo's too..........but i'd think the facelifted one would be the better bet even with the miles going up

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34901

Hi new member here, been lurking a bit, hope that I can make some useful contribution to the forum....

Michael FYI OPC's are currently only offering £40K for a June 03 C4 with 12K as of last month, I expect that in the current economic climate you should be able to do much better than your current choices if you do more homework. OPC's must be adding around 25% min to their purchase prices!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34902

I think I would go for car 2 of the two. Both seem relatively expensive in the current climate, so I wouldn't rush into either.

Have you considered a cabrio? May get even more off at this time of year, and thus put you in a stronger position come resale time.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34906

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I'm actually test driving Car 2 in 10 mins !!!! I agree about choosing Car2. Still a little expensive I know relative to a few in Autotrader. Have looked at loads and it does seem a couple of grand higher. However, I am looking for Black with light grey leather, Tip, which does limit my choice. I don't mind paying a little extra for that fussiness.

The car is at Imperials, Essex.

Will let you know how the drive goes and whether he'll drop price to 38k !!!!

Cheers

Michael

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34907

Drove it. Felt great. He's offering it at £38,500 with a 12mth Warranty (decent one he reckons). 4 owners and the big service just been done. (2k of work)

Tempting.............. ???????!!!!!!!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34915

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by F1_Dragon on 06 October 2005

...also think that PCM will help resale, kind of expected in a lux car...
Completely agree but dont bother with PCM1. its not a patch on PCM2 and is only on 2003 model cars. Beware 2003 registered cars that are actually 2002 model year as PCM will be 1. If its a pre 2003 car in the price range, you'll do much better getting an Alpine or Pioneer after market joby that will be well improved over PCM1(financed obviously by the price negotiation that you get up front)

If you want to get newer and better equipped for your budget, then go LHD :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34916

Would be very careful paying OPC prices for a 996 as they are still in freefall. Just a word of caution.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34933

Has to be the face lift car, not just because of the appearance! In addition, think you have to a wee bit more research - the cars you are looking at are a bit on the steep side! Low mileage doesn't allows mean that its a bargain, cars are meant to be driven and when they are not, plenty can go wrong!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34936

Thanks. Car2 looking likely. Sub £38k with a warranty.

Have been offered a 12mth Warranty as part of the deal with a company called Autoprotect.

Worth the paper it's written on ??????

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35029

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Michael Zapties on 07 October 2005

Thanks. Car2 looking likely. Sub £38k with a warranty.

Have been offered a 12mth Warranty as part of the deal with a company called Autoprotect.

Worth the paper it's written on ??????

not sure.............but youre local OPC should be able to offer you a "used-car" Porsche warranty for under £1k.subject to them inspecting it..............might be worthwhile seeing if the trader will pay what he'd have pay to the autoprotect lot and you make up the rest to have the peace and mind of the makers warranty

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35030

He reckons it's worth £700. Obviously he probably won't give me £700 off mine, given the Autoprotect Warranty costs them a lot less!!! Could be used for bargaining though........

Choice is either a Peter Morgan inspection(£285 , 190 point check) + the "free" Autoprotect warranty or OPC check (£280 , 111 point check) + £725 OPC Warranty ???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35031

deffo and i think by law he has to give you at least a 28 day warranty too

i'd go for the OPC check and warranty package myself.................thats meant to in no way shape or form say that Peter Morgan's check is inferior in fact its more than likely a lot more superior to the OPC one.........but to get the Porsche warranty you need the OPC to do the PPI i'm assuming

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35032

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back