Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rack

Matt Buckland

Trainee
Hi all.

Being subjected to the usual rubbish service from Porsche France (you think its bad in the UK).

I had some smoke issueing from the rear right wheel area after a quick run so a trip to the local OPC was in order. Prior to this my steering fluid had dropped which i duly topped up (the reservior for which is directly above the right rear wheel...)

They had it for a day then declared they did not know where the smoke came from but needed to change the steering rack for 3500 Euro! and no i didn't need to see the weeping seal! I took the car back home and told them to stick it.

Anybody had their rack changed? i priced it about 800 pounds for the rack plus fitting certainly not circa 2800 pounds!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34561

i've had steering racks on bmw's reconditioned for about £300,

its normally the seals that go

firm in bristol who advertise in our exchange and mart, very quick turn around

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34562

Matt,

I reckon the smoke is fluid leaking from the braided pipe that goes from the reservois to the rack and dripping on your exhaust, this happened on my old 964!

Mind you my rack went on my 993, if you insert a blunt screwdriver between the rack bushes and fluid poors out then the rck has gone.

JZ did mine recently cost about a grand! They did not recommend a reconditioned unit!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34564

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input. I just found it odd that they can find no reason for the smoke even though the reservoir is directly above the source!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34565

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back