Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlamps for LHD 2000 996 C2

Kiwi911

I've just imported LHD 996 from USA to New Zealand. As part of local compliance I have to convert headlamps so they dip left rather than right. I'm keeping the car LHD though - this is just part of meeting local WoF (equivalent to MoT) regulations.

Porsche dealer has told me this requires both headlamp units to be replaced as complete units - correct? Cost from dealer in NZ is frightening.... about 850 pounds each.

Any ideas on where to source at reasonable cost - I've googled this, trying to locate in Singapore / Hong Kong / Japan or UK (any RHD country!) but not much luck. Have tried 247 spares in UK - waiting to hear back. My car is a 2000 model with the clear indicator lenses.

Appreciate any thoughts - thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33992

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Kiwi911 on 20 September 2005

I've just imported LHD 996 from USA to New Zealand. As part of local compliance I have to convert headlamps so they dip left rather than right. I'm keeping the car LHD though - this is just part of meeting local WoF (equivalent to MoT) regulations.Porsche dealer has told me this requires both headlamp units to be replaced as complete units - correct? Cost from dealer in NZ is frightening.... about 850 pounds each.Any ideas on where to source at reasonable cost - I've googled this, trying to locate in Singapore / Hong Kong / Japan or UK (any RHD country!) but not much luck. Have tried 247 spares in UK - waiting to hear back. My car is a 2000 model with the clear indicator lenses.Appreciate any thoughts - thanks.

typical poor dealer attitude....

now this should be the same as the boxster where there is a switch inside the unit that you switch.. to change from lhd to rhd..

just remove each headlamp (with the lever), open the back and there is a tiny switch inside that will make the adjustment

cost = 15 mins of your time

and in your manual, there should be section on how to do this !!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33994

Hi Kiwi
I am happy to find you them here in Japan - plenty of LHD's around BUT, as Sundeep mentioned, you should be able to change them over quite easily yourself! I had a 2003 996 - I still have the owners manual will try and look up the detail - however, I know the lights are different. I have a 997 now and couldn't find anything on changing the lights actually BUT, it is a LHD in a RHD country so i know it is definitely possible!
Servo
PS I didn't realise you were allowed to own LHD cars in NZ - OZ is well stict on Lefties!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33995

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Sundeep - trying the free fix first! I pulled the headlights out and had a look inside. Cannot see any switch to convert the dip over. There's a fist-sized hatch on rear of headlight assembly that allows access to the three bulbs - sidelight, low beam and high beam. Also flat white knob that appears to secure the inner headlight assembly inside the unit. Have fiddled with that but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with dipping aim.

Have also looked at the two allen key screws for vertical and lateral adjustment - but can't imagine they would cause the headlight to dip the other way.

The owner's manual I have is US version - and they don't mention anything about converting headlights (not something they would think about in the US!)

So I'm a bit stuck on this....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34044

Servo - didn't mention, in NZ you can import LHD if it's over 20 yrs old or if you've owned and used it overseas for 90 days. We used to live in the US so qualified that way - and prices were about 2/3 of NZ prices so it was either buy a 911 (only been dreaming about it since I was a kid) now or wait another 10 years..... was keen on 993 shape but my wife liked 996 better and since we have young kids thought it might be more practical. Very happy with the 996 anyway.

By the way US prices seem to be about the same in USD as UK prices are in pounds - cheap cheap cheap.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34045

there was a piece on this on an le mans article from a boxtser on how this was done.... in 911p&w, i'll see if I can dig it out !

it is there !

unless this is another US car fix, where they remove switch, just so US drivers don't get confused :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34066

Sundeep - have been doing some more digging on this.

Came across this link
http://www.renntech.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t4274.html

which refers to a lighting site
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-current-regulations.htm

Looks like I might have to stump up for new lights - the description on the lighting site looks back to front but my car has headlamps with single arrow which would per that site be only for "left-hand traffic" with headlamp beam flare on left hand side. Being a US car should be right-hand traffic with flare to right, on LHD car... anyway headlamps definitely have flare to the right and don't have the double arrow which would explain why I had trouble finding a switch inside the headlamp unit! As you say probably to avoid confusing US drivers.

Still, all the searching was useful - thanks Warren for the UK headlamp sites, that will allow me to buy at about 1/3 the OPC parts cost in NZ and thanks Sundeep and Servo for the advice.

Also found elsewhere on this forum how to switch the speedo from miles to kilometres which was an unexpected bonus because I thought I'd just have to leave it in miles!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34186

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back