Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LHD v RHD

sloni

Does anybody have any strong opnions on which option to choose when picking the left or right side of the car to drive from? Does it affect your Insurance or servicing costs? Is it really a pain to live with a LHD? Has anybody got any advice based on driving on the left side?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33150

I've had both and I say go LHD, it's the way god intended. :)

Pedals are offset a bit on RHD SC/3.2 (can't speak for newer) and make for uncomfortable long distance motoring. (Well, more uncomfortable than LHD anyway. You also get a footrest on LHD)

RHD cars still have the deck lid release, and fuel cap puller on the left. Even the glovebox knob is waaaaay over on the left. But I'm lazy.

It did not affect my Insurance. In fact LHD can be a license saver. You will take more risks overtaking with RHD. BTDT.

LHD makes pulling up and getting out easier! Straight out onto the kerb. No dodging white van man!

You can scare the pants off your passangers with LHD. Watch them try to find the brake pedal.

Drive throughs and car park barrier machines can be tricky though. Not that I'd ever park my 911 in a multistory car park round here.

Drive both for at least an hour and see what you think.

Good luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33155

Pretty much agree with the coments above. Better car for the same money, better pedals/driving position, the interior "feel" right in a LHD.

No extra cost for my Insurance or servicing either.

However, some people just hate LHD, a friend of mine wounldn't even consider it at all. Not sure why, may be the stigma of a poor man's Porsche simply because it's cheaper?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33166

All the above is 'on the nail'. The biggest old argument was residuals. If you keep it long enough you dont care. Theres a decent LHD demand now if you dont. eventually they all come to rest at the same price and its all about condition (long time admittedly!!). Never an issue on servicing (opc's). no Insurance probs. As Mick says above, more car for same money what ever model and all your left with is a happy disposition

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33171

LHD - all the way

all the above plus bigger market for resale (ie the rest of europe!)

on my third lefty (golf g60 edition one - lancia delta evolution)

down sides:

- toll booths and tescos carpark etc.... the 911 cabin is narrow enough to reach over though - where as the delta......

- you need to look over your right shoulder more on motorways etc as there is a bit of a blind spot

takes a day to get used to it fully

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33174

Here in Japan you can purchase cars left or right hand drive - no difference in price!

I ordered a 996 in RHD and waited months for it - it was a great car! But my 997 I ordered in LHD and waited several months for it too! Personally, in my case there was no benefit in price BUT, the comments 911MOT made were applicable.

Getting out from the car straight away in busy Tokyo streets in RHD can be HARD!!

Driving position is much better! The left leg has a lot more room - the foot rest seems to be similar in size....at least between the 996 and 997. BUT, I do remember my left leg around the knee area used to hurt from resting on the centre console.

I have sat in RHD 930's and 964's and 993's and to be honest with you, although I am only 1.75m tall I couldn't comfortable with the seating position. On long journey's I think most people just compromise comfort - the fact that you are in one of the worlds most amazing cars probably makes the experience durable. BUT, if it was a Skoda I think you would think twice!

Also, the actual view in from the drivers seat in a LHD car in a RHD country is very good believe it or not! You get to see the entire road without any A pillar.

Lastly, LHD makes you just that much more cautious when overtakng - thats a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33176

I think that just about says it all. LHD is an absolute breeze and doesn't take any getting used to, I only grabbed the door handle instead of the gear stick once or twice.

It feels so natural that I can swap between the LHD 3.2 and the RHD mondeo with out really noticing.

Given that LHD seems to be a little cheaper, I would so it was the way to go!

S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33193

errrr .... RHD if you live / drive mainly in UK and LHD if you live / drive mainly in continental Europe?!?!?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33199

It certainly seems as though LHD is the way to go. This is good news as they seem to be cheaper to buy ad I don't plan on selling for a long time anyway. I guess it's just the car park barriers that are the pain to live with. One question though, if the Insurance costs are the same then why do the Insurance comapnies ask you the question anyway?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33204

Maybe RHD is more likely to get stolen?

Another benefit - friends and family don't rush to say 'Let's have a drive of your car"

Oh and don't forget to look over your RIGHT shoulder when reversing. You will only bang your head on the B-pillar a couple of times before you remember

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33210

Its funny ive been dealing in LHd for some time now, and LHD are cheaper here than they are in Germany....have even had Germans coming here to buy cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33221

my Insurance werent interested that it was lhd - i had to tell them! just incase they had assumed rhd - no difference in price at all.

to top it they couldnt find a 3.8 c2 993 so they said they would insure it as a 3.8 rs! liverpool victoria BTW

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33255

1 more vote for LHD, really no issues.

1 piece of advice, when getting your ticket at the barrier BEFORE sliding over to the passenger seat push the seat belt fastner out of the way!! it dont arf bloody hurt your arse if you dont.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33844

Just an additional comment from me, I was talking to a guy who has worked for Porsche for 25 years and he was adamant that the cars are designed LHD are best kept that way for several mechanical / weight distribution reasons as well. Further, he asked me if I found it easier to left at speed or right - personally either is OK with me, but he said what about on a motorbike? I don't ride bikes BUT, he explained that most motorcyclists would find it easier to go left - being in a LHD car makes track times a wee bit quicker. The same driver in a LHD or RHD car will show different times. Michael Schumacher is one of the only drivers apparently who can go both ways around a track in the same time! He is only limited by the machine! Bit of trivia - won't help getting a parking ticket though :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33855

Had 5 LHD 911's before I got the 993 also LHD and never considered a RHD if I was to be the only driver as I prefer the layout in the LHD cars also a must if the other half wants to drive it as I say it will be too dangerous if you haven't driven LHD :twisted:

I have had several lefties, mainly MG's I have repatriated from the states and find them 8)
as they are that bit different and great if you stop at the local shop on the way home ,no exit worries into the roadway. :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34126

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back