Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen change

Will Statt

The screen on my 993 is quite badly chipped and scratched, though still legal. It's really annoying in sunny weather as the scratches effect visibility.

I'm worried though, about just calling Autoglass or similar in case they make a *****-up, as I've heard that can happen?

Any suggestions for trouble free windscreen replacement?

Leicestershire/Derbyshire

Thanks

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32485

Will,

Just had my windscreen changed with RAC Auto Windscreens. I can't praise them enough. Even though they admitted they haven't done that many 911's they researched it with headoffice to remind themselves exactly what the procedure was (including the tape required to stop the squeeking) and have done an excellent job, with no squeeking!

I had to take it to the workshop, since said they wanted to take their time. They had the car for 4 hours in the end.

Paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32602

Many thanks for that Gatekeeper... I'll give them a call, and see if they have a workshop near me.

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32648

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Gatekeeper on 19 August 2005

Will,

Just had my windscreen changed with RAC Auto Windscreens. I can't praise them enough. Even though they admitted they haven't done that many 911's they researched it with headoffice to remind themselves exactly what the procedure was (including the tape required to stop the squeeking) and have done an excellent job, with no squeeking!

I had to take it to the workshop, since said they wanted to take their time. They had the car for 4 hours in the end.

Paul
interesting.. I've got one chip but out of interest where did you car go with the RAC, as it they did a good job then I think I would want to use that depot as well !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32693

Why don't you make sure it's not going to pass the legality test and get it changed by an OPC.

I took 2 direct hits from fist sized rocks (off a muck lorry) last week. No chance of the screen being legal. My insurers said, "no problem, here's the number for Autoglass"

I told them I would rather have it done by an OPC, using the correct methods, materials and parts.

They said that this was fine, but I would have to pay the OPC in full (£525.00 for a 996) and reclaim the cost (minus the excess) from the insurers. How long the money takes to arrive........? We'll see.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32695

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Nobby Diesel on 23 August 2005

Why don't you make sure it's not going to pass the legality test and get it changed by an OPC.

I took 2 direct hits from fist sized rocks (off a muck lorry) last week. No chance of the screen being legal. My insurers said, "no problem, here's the number for Autoglass"

I told them I would rather have it done by an OPC, using the correct methods, materials and parts.

They said that this was fine, but I would have to pay the OPC in full (£525.00 for a 996) and reclaim the cost (minus the excess) from the insurers. How long the money takes to arrive........? We'll see.

Make sure you don't have the pay the differance between OPC and Autoglass price aswell.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32697

FWIW, I met a chap called Alan lat weekend who has a 911CS in the Leicestershire area and had his Windscreen changed by RAC Autowindscreens recently- quite possibly the worst job i've seen.

You can actually move the seal on the screen, plus the finishing is bad on the inside - loose putty/filler type substance hanging off.

Just another opinion...

Shirish

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32698

I had my 500 sl screen replaced by RAC, they did the crappiest job ive ever seen, scratched the A pillars, put the A pillar covers back wrong, i'd never ever go there again.

thats my opinion, i suppose you just need an operator who enjoys what he does, rather than the chores of work

sam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33132

Had the screen replaced on my car by autoglass shortly after purchasing, they hadn't done a 993 before and certainly didn't know about teflon tape etc until I informed them amd they phoned OPC for instructions. A few months after the screen was fitted noticed v. minor corrosion starting around bottom of windscreen a-posts, a fairly common problem on 993's. Don't know whether this was due to damage caused when new screen fitted etc, and fortunately was fixed under 10 yr bodywork warranty, but would only use OPC in future, and pay difference in cost if necessary.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33209

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Will Statt on 17 August 2005

The screen on my 993 is quite badly chipped and scratched, though still legal. It's really annoying in sunny weather as the scratches effect visibility.
I've got the same problem on my '95 993 - driving towards a low-lying sun is no fun, but it's still legal. Is there any kind of renovation available, based on resin repairs, or a spray-on solution? There's nothing structurally unsound on the screen, just lots of pin-prick marks.

Based on the discussion above, replacement is my last resort!

Ian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34009

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back