Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

18" 993 Targa Wheels

Mark911

Nurburgring
I own a '97 targa and would like to know why 18" wheels are not approved by Porsche for fitment. I need some new tyres soon and thought I might take the opportunity to switch to 18's. (The targa bodyshell starts its life as a cabrio and they can have 18" wheels!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31736

Presumably to much flex transmitted through the roof structure.
I have 18's and fitted a front strut brace - Gert Carnewal is a good supplier and its easy to fit yourself to the existing bolts on the towers.
Definately a harsher ride though. Fine in Europe with smooth roads but not so nice here compared to the 17 inchers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31737

Thanks, I have already fitted a strut brace.

My car also has factory lowered suspension so I wonder if there will be any problems with clearance on lock

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31738

Mark IF you do upgrade I might be interested in your old targa wheels.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31739

I think Porsche did not recommend 18" for the Targa because they stiffen up the ride and they were concerned that because this causes slightly more body flex it would effect the long term operation of the targa roof.

I have also read but never had confirmed that the Targa comes with slightly softer suspension than the Coupe for the same reason. I am sure this was in an american magazine so perhaps only is true for the US market.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31741

if you were to fit 18's there wouldn't be any clearnace issues, as the tyres profile would allow for that....

there are many owners that have fitted 18's, but as Cab's and Targa's back then weren't fitted OEM, many of them seem to have have them added.....

I've seen Mag artciles that have featured 993 Targa's on 18's that have not raised this point....... but in my view the switch to sports suspension (MO30) will have the same effect as lower profile tyres..... (I also have lowered sports suspension, strut brace, etc)

at the end it's a bit of an odd one from Porsche, as the shift up to Narrow Body 18's is a slight change, but the the roof 'may' rattle a bit more with a bit more body flex, but with the stated of UK roads that was always going to happen...... you would just have to manage accordingly.... as there are enough targa's out there with 18's wheels....

the next time my tyres are up for renewal I will look at switching to 18's, this time I didn't as I couldn't find a set of 18's that I liked ! otherwise I would have 18's on my car right now !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31742

Sorry Martyn, I would not part with the original wheels as they are mint and should I ever decide to sell the car I would like the option to return it to standard.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31744

Following on from my question the other night, I have found on a US web site a
Steering Rack Brace - Reinforcing Cross Strut
(part No. 993.347.131.02)
recommended by Porsche for 1995 993 with 18" or larger wheels.

Can I assume that this is standard fitment on post '95 cars and is also fitted to the Targa even though they don't approve 18" wheels?

Mark

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31803

the stering rack brace must be fitted to all 94 and 95 cars if you want to run 18's.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31804

I have found some 18's I like and about to take the plunge.

They are the RH RS 3 Piece Split Rims from PWS as advertised in Aug 911 & Porsche World.

Anyone got these and any comments?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32133

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Porsche%20-%20017(1).jpg

are they like these?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32137

No they have the thiner polished outer rim but I really like yours as well !! Who supplies these?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32138

they are RH Alurad, not sure if they are available any more, I will be selling these soon, the outer rims need a refurb, the lacquer has gone off!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32139

I fitted my new 18" RH RS wheels at the weekend only to find that I have a clearance problem with the offside rear wheel arch. This wheel seems to protrude from the car ever so slightly and of course it rubbed the arch on the first bump.

I have been told that it must be a camber setting fault but I had a full setup done at an OPC not 2 months ago, and holding a long straightedge against the wheel it looks to have some negative camber anyway.

These wheels have an offset of 55mm and 265/35 tyres fitted.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34611

Mark - very strange - i have 18's on my car with the same size tyres and its lowered quite a bit and i have never had a problem with rubbing - maybe worth getting the camber re-checked?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34612

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back