Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 17" Tyre Options>Choice ?

Porsche

Donnington
My car will spend the next week
s7.gif

up at the garages of AmD somewhere in deepest Oxfordshire.. at AmD I will get new (i) Bilstein HD shocks [after a month awaiting them!] (ii) M030 Springs (iii) Front RS Wishbone Arms fitted with the correct alignment as well as getting an AmD ECU remap done on my 9 year old 100k mile 3.6 litre engine.....
s3.gif

but enough to make the bank balance tremble...
s8.gif

I am just hoping that my car comes back from AmD without any minor dents like last time
s8.gif

although all of this is a whole other story !!!anyway on the way up it wil get 4 new shoes in the form of N rated Michelin Pilot Sport Tyres thanks to Black Circles on my existing 17" alloys (decided not to supersize to 18's
s10.gif

which is still a surprise to me !!!!)

I decided to go for the latest N rated tyres as opposed to the N rated types as recommended back in the days of the 993. my view is that I wanted to benefit from the current tyre technology, as there are compound and tread advances in the latest variant's that I wanted to benefit from, opposed to tyres that is from an older design.

which was same view in all my 4 options.. except for the Continential's which were still the same spec, otherwsie the Michelin, Pirelli & Bridgestone were the lastest Porsche N rated tyres from each brand & tyre.. verses the 993 N spec tyres back from 1998..

note - although I did try and get the 993 specified Michelin N1's but most places were only listing the newer Michelin N2's..... so in the end I quickly ditched the old N1's although I should point out that there is nothing wrong with the previous Michelin Pilot Sport N1's

Price wise
www.blackcircles.com
prices were very good, I got a discount verses the online price that was about 10% on the tyre price not the nominal fitting et all charge...just mentioned every club & web forum as I part of!

options as the following....

Key criteria = tyre life, noise & wet handling

Option 1 :

205/50 R17 Z Bridgestone S02-A N4 - £125.71 Per Tyre Fully Fitted255/40 R17 Z Bridgestone S02-A N4 - £149.62 Per Tyre Fully FittedThe Bridgestone S02-A has a wear rating of 140

conclusion = too soft, but for that reason made 2nd place

Option 2 :

205/50 R17 Z Pirelli Pzero Rosso N3 - £134.78 Per Tyre Fully Fitted255/40 R17 Z Pirelli Pzero Rosso N3 - £134.78 Per Tyre Fully FittedThe Pirelli Pzero Rosso has a wear rating of 220

conclusion = although the best price, which should have been the choice, I wasn't so keen on the tyre design ! although a good tyre I didn't feel it was anything special !may be next time.. although I know someone will disagree !

Option 3 :

205/50 R17 Z Michelin Pilot Sport N2 - £148.19 Per Tyre Fully Fitted255/40 R17 Z Michelin Pilot Sport N2 - £152.15 Per Tyre Fully FittedThe Michelin Pilot Sport has a wear rating of 220

conclusion = so contray to Michelin's reputation for tyres since the US GP, price was the sticking points i.e. most expensive, quotes ranged up to £250 a tyre ! never run michelin's before, so actually wanted to see what they were like !

Option 4 :

205/50 R17 Z Continential Sport Contact 2 N2 - £134.19 Per Tyre Fully Fitted255/40 R17 Z Continential Sport Contact 2 N2 - £144.17 Per Tyre Fully FittedThe Continential Sport Contact 2 has a wear rating of 280

conclusion = my current tyres, tread life is amazing, grip in the dry has been good, although they have had to suffer with my knackered suspension so wet handling was always a tad suspect, if not always eventful ! although if I ever had a GT2 then these tyres would be the 1st choice i.e hard enough to survive all that power in just the rear wheels....

so it was the Michelin Polit SPort N2's that won the day.. although never thought I would end up picking the most expensive option !

from what I could tell the latest Michelin Pilot Sport 2's weren't available as an N spec in the sizes for the 993... so per the 1st picture these are the ones am I led to believe will be fitted.. well accordingly to the Michelin site per
http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotsport.pdf
Pilot® Sport
hd_perfratings2.gif

ratings_top.gif

6 9 7 9 N/A N/A
pilot_sport_large.jpg

verses PS2... which seem to better rated according to Michelin (which would make sense v2 better than v1!)Pilot® Sport PS2™
hd_perfratings2.gif

ratings_top.gif

6 10 10 10 N/A N/A
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

ps2_large.jpg

although personal preference of the directional tyre pattern was also a factor ! which is why I also wasn't so keen on the original '98 Michelin Pilot Sport MXX3 N1.. no doubt a legend in the dry but in the wet the design is a tad old...
PSXMX3.jpg

if only the
GOOD YEAR EAGLE F1 GS-D3
was available as N Porsche Rated Tyre, then for me it would no contest and an immediate choice ! sadly it isn't
s10.gif

gsd3.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30466

Be careful with the conti's because they are a handful in the wet. I have just replaced with Pzero's.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30472

Never had a problem with Conti's in the wet in either 993 or previous car Box S. Rear engine + wet surface = adopt driving style accordingly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30480

went for the Michelin Pilot Sport N2's

BUT the tread patterns isn't anything on the Michelin Catalogue ! or any Pilot Sport that myself, the garage or even Black Circles knew of !

:?

it is the right tyre for my car.. BUT is this a special Porsche only Michelin Pilot Sport ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30508

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 25 June 2005

went for the Michelin Pilot Sport N2's

BUT the tread patterns isn't anything on the Michelin Catalogue ! or any Pilot Sport that myself, the garage or even Black Circles knew of !

:?

it is the right tyre for my car.. BUT is this a special Porsche only Michelin Pilot Sport ?
cheap copies ;-)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30529

I had a set of the PS2's on another car of mine and they were fantastic but I do think it depends on the car. I currently run conti sports but when they are up I will be going for P Zero rosso's.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30855

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 28 July 2005

Sundeep - are these your tyres --
Pilot Sport Ribs
?Any reports on what they're like?
those are the ones !!

way too early to say and yet to drive 'em in the wet... but will know after my next bedford day !

mi_pilot_sport_rib.gif

Web link
Web link
trans.gif

Web link
trans.gif

Web link
trans.gif

Web link
Web link

Michelin Pilot Sport "Rib" Max Performance tires have been developed for original equipment use on late model Porsche cars. They are a straight rib tread design derivative of Michelin's Pilot Sport tire line. AsPorsche original equipment tires, designated "N-1" (17-inch sizes) and "N-2" (18-inch sizes), Pilot Sport "Rib" tires are designed to offer enhanced acoustic comfort and refined road manners while providing the driver with exceptional feedback and progressive handling.

On the outside, the Michelin Pilot Sport "Rib" tires combine some of the construction technologies of the standard Pilot Sport with the straight rib type tread design of Michelin's Pilot SX MXX3 tire line. The uninterrupted center ribs reduce tire noise on dry roads while they sharpen steering response and provide communicative road feel. On the inside, the tread design is supported by two belts made of high-tensile, lightweight steel cords which are further reinforced by size-optimized, spirally wrapped nylon cord utilizing Michelin's BAZ (Banded At Zero) Technology to improve steering response and resist distortion while they enhance ride quality and high speed durability.Ultra-reinforced sidewalls promote fast steering response and powerful cornering, while Michelin's cable beads help maintain the shape of a running tire for better tire/wheel uniformity.

The Pilot Sport "Rib" radials feature blackwall styling and are available in select 30- through 50-series, Z-speed rated sizes for 17- and 18-inch wheel diameters.

mi_pilot_sport_rib_ci2_s.jpg
[/url]
mi_pilot_sport_rib_ci1_s.jpg
[/url]
mi_pilot_sport_rib_ci3_s.jpg
[/url]

mi_pilot_sport_rib_ci2_l.jpg

display it here instead of the normal images -->

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31956

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads