Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying From Germany

Gary Monks

Hi guys, new member wants to know has anyone out there personally imported a car from west germany ? in the process of doing a deal on a 97 twin turbo and need a bit of advice ? any taxes to pay at uk end with the C & E and any other issues paperwork etc i need to do before hand ? also what to look out for to pass MOT [besides headlamp glass changes[, assume it needs this so i can get registered ?

all help greatfully recieved !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29667

Make sure the car was built to German spec (eg if it was built for the Swiss market and sold to a German owner, you will need to SVA it first regardless if it was registered in Germany). No tax to pay, complete VAT414 form, Get MOT done after changing head lamps. Apply for registration at DVLA office.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29669

West Germany ? Is the wall still up?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29676

Not sure about the paper work 'cos mine was already here when I bought it.

The head lamp unit has a little lever to switch over to RHD roads, It just blocks off the "pavements" bit of the light so you don't dazzle the on coming traffic, so obviously you don't get any extra lighting on the pavements here. Don't need to change the unit to pass MOT unless you really want that bit of extra light.

I fit was Swiss spec, I think the engine is slightly de-tuned (as US cars) with longer gear ratio (to keep the noise and emission down) and ??higher ride height?

Legally you need something to tell you the speed in mph somehow, you can change the rev counter (@£200 2nd hand) so the computer can tell you the mph, so you can just put little sticker strips on top of the kmph speedo.

German cars didn't come standard with Cat anything alarm, so you might need to sort that bit out. Some ins companies are ok with Drive Block but most would want Cat I alarm.

Happy driving

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29680

Swiss cars have the same BHP as the rest of the world cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29681

Yes, same engine and ride height in Swiss cars, only gear ratios were taller (like US) for emissions (though I read somewhere acceleration to 60 or 100 was quicker as you had had 1 less gear change too do ). From MY97 all 993's had the Swiss/US gearbox.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29702

yes I did.. and now I am on my 2nd car that I bought from over there !

very easy to get registered with the DVLA ...... no VAT to pay (as long as the car is over 6 months old and having done at least 6000miles !)

I found my car from www.uk.mobile.de

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29705

Yes, the wall went back up. I think its on hinges now.

Cold War: All we need now is the old ID cards and we have the full set.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29707

From what i can gather most ex West germans want the wall back up pronto.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29708

Bit of zymol - that will polish out no problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29717

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Wolvreen on 08 June 2005

www.uk.mobile.de

How does this VAT reclaimable work then? Is this only for company cars?
that would be my guess

otherwise the used market over here would fall apart !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29719

Thanks guys, for all the info ! glad i found this forum ! as this is my first foray into the world of porsche ownership and thought i should start as i mean to go on i.e. best car i can afford !

Sundeep ! looking at buying my car through mobile.de are they a good company to deal with then ? unfiortunately i live and work in saudi arabia but will be importing car into UK and as such wont be able to view the car until it arrives in blighty so doing it with a bit of trepidation ! whats the process after you pay them the deposit ? can you let me know please ?

the seller is offering the remaining warranty ? this car is a 97 TT 520 BHP do porsche offer warranties on cars of this age ? it low km's < 70k and the original owner has just passed away so son selling on behalf of estate, he tells me it in good cond with fsh and no accident damage, repaints etc

let me know your views/experiences guys as car looks ace on paper but dont want to go into this blindly.

Regards.................... to all

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29721

Butzi ! from what your saying its the revcounter through the ecu that changes over the kph to mph, how does that work then ? would have thought all revcounters read the same and it would be the speedo/speedo face graphics that would require the change along with a different speedo drive gear or transducer to alter it from kph to mph ? or is it just a speedo face change ?

Do they not come with both sets of markings on the speedo face ?

Or am i barking up the wrong tree completely ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29724

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back