Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Wing Mirrors Stolen. Again.

Alex Johnson

OK, so I posted on the 25th of March that the wing mirrors on my 993 Targa had been stolen. It took a while to get Paragon to put on the replacements, but the upshot is that they lasted literally three weeks and a day. I see a fellow 993 owner in the next street (Cab) also had his/hers stolen. I live in London and it's on-street parking or no car at all, and there's no question the thief comes to this neighbourhood knowing there are a fair few nice cars. So, parking in a better-lit street isn't an option.

So, I will ask again: how can I prevent this? I'd like as many informed "out of the box" thoughts as people can come up with as this is now beyond a joke.

1. I was thinking of having the number plate embossed into the mirror housing? I am not thinking of something like glass etching, I am thinking of the letter- and number-punches people put into keys and metalwork. Practical? Would a thief notice? Care?

2. I asked before about superglue. Can the whole housing be superglued or in some other way bonded to the door? I appreciate this would be a pain if the mirrors were damaged in a parking accident etc. but right now that does not seem to be my biggest problem. Would the upwards motion to snap whatever it is that holds on the mirror damage the door if the housing were superglued?

3. Do people steal mirrors from older 964's (or older) as well? Do the "flag" shaped mirrors fit? What about any other brand? At this point I couldn't care less about the shape and electric mirrors are completely unnecessary for just one driver - it's just about getting something that fits.

I will appreciate any thoughts.

And if you, dear reader, have bought any mirrors from "a mate of a mate down the pub" then please do appreciate that these are expensive but not so expensive as to make an Insurance claim worthwhile when balanced against excesses and no claims discounts that would be lost - you are actually stealing from me and people like me, not Insurance companies. I doubt that makes any difference but one lives in hope.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28857

Changing the bolt head pattern, to say Torx, and hoping he doesn't carry the right tool?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28868

Commiserations, mate. This must be HUGELY annoying. :evil:

I've no fresh suggestions but the most practical of yours is, I think, fitting 964-style 'bat's ears' mirrors. No-one woud want to nick those. In fact the thief is no doubt selling yours (and others') to 964 owners who want nice-looking Cups. (Sad that criminals operate in the Porsche 'movement'.)

Get proper 993 replacement mirrors now but fit them only when you sell (or move house...).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28869

Hey Mankster, there's a BMW in your signature!! :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28870

May sound ridiculous, but how about removing the mirrors yourself when you park up for a duration?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28873

Embossing sounds fine - but can be filled in and resprayed over.
For my garage door locks there are screws with one way (tighten only) heads - impossible to unscrew because the screwdriver has no purchase.
You could always fit the mirrors - tighten the screws then drill out the heads and file them so they cant be unscrewed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28876

Take the bolts out, put back in with Loctite on the threads and then fill the bolt head with Araldite or some such. You'd have to drill it out if you needed to change it in the future but, as you say, that doesn't seem to be your main concern.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28877

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robert Bill on 23 May 2005
May sound ridiculous, but how about removing the mirrors yourself when you park up for a duration?

When they are stolen, they actually snap a hook that holds them on. They are not removeable (I was mis-informed by a guy at AFN who said they unscrew them; in fact they just yank the entire assembly upwards until the little hook snaps).

So superglueing the bolt will make no difference. Well, it might make it useless to the thief but it won't stop it being stolen. The thought is whether I can superglue the entire assembly to the side of the car, or whether this would just damage the door as and if the guy tried again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28879

damn ! not good at all !!!

wire the battery up to the exposed screw....

or change the head of the screw type.. as with locking wheel bolts i.e different screw design so you need a special tool head to remove....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28881

CCTV mounted on the dash so at least you have evidence to go to the rozzers with? (Thinking 'outside the box' now!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28888

:(
... Sorry to read this again .... i'd try a different type of screw like the torx

Also keep a baseball bat handy near the front door of your house and if this ****** comes back then it will come in handy :evil:

keep us posted

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28889

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxy M on 23 May 2005

Hey Mankster, there's a BMW in your signature!! :eek:

he.he.. but I gave prominence to the Porsche; may shrink the BMW down some more though...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28897

i had my bonnet badge stolen recently so I feel some of your pain. My car is parked on my drive so I have increased the lighting and trimmed a hedge.

One of the options I thought about but didn't go ahead with was to have a car alarmed fitted wih a proximity sensor. I recall seeing a demo of one that beeped if anyone got too close to the car. If this wasn't enough to make them move away, the alarm would sound. I don't know if it would be practical with on street parking.

Just a thought.

pp

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28957

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Pickled Piper on 24 May 2005

One of the options I thought about but didn't go ahead with was to have a car alarmed fitted wih a proximity sensor. I recall seeing a demo of one that beeped if anyone got too close to the car.
I had experience of one of these in Sainsbury's car park once. I was trying to get in my car when suddenly a voice like Clint Eastwood with a mouthfull of ball bearings yells menacingly "Step away from the car, Step away from the car" It finished with a threat that was something like an alarm will sound, or a 45 magnum will pop out of the headlight and make its day or some tosh. The only trouble was, the car was an XR3i convertible with the roof held to gether with gaffer tape (as was most of the rest of the car as I recall), a rear spoiler that had formally been his granny's sideboard, finished off with the widest set of carlos fandango's I'd ever seen.

My money was on the alarm being worth at least twice the car
spank.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28959

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back