Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Alarms

Mankster

Silverstone
Hi, the 911 I am looking to buy (German LHD) has a porsche fitted Alarm & Immobiliser. Obviously not Thactham approved. My Insurance companies requires me to install a Cat1 alarm/immobilizer (if I could have gotten away with just a cat2 device, it would have been simple). So do I get the original one deactivated and install the new one or keep the original as well (as trying to remove it may mess with the electrics?). I also like to keep the door mounted dome LED's if possible. What have you guy done ??

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27283

Maybe check different insurers. I was with elephant/admiral with a german import 993 lhd cabrio. They were happy with standard porsche immobiliser/alarm. I did check with Hamilton and Palmer (www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk
. They said that OEM alarms/immobilisers on german imports were good enough. I know one or two Insurers were a bit ***** on that front but I didnt want to 'butcher the car'

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27287

Mine has the original Porsche immobiliser fitted with the door top LED's. However the insurers wanted more, so I had a Thatcham 1 spec alarm fitted. They left the original bits in place so now I have two immobilisers and an alarm. Starting the beast is quite complicated but it all seems to work OK.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27302

As Hendo said shop around, mines German LHD import. Churchill Insurance had no issue with the Porsche standard alarm immobiliser or the fact it is LHD come to that.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27451

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back