Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996or993 C4:engine reliability key factor

Ian Dobb

Advice please - are 996 engines just too unreliable compared with 993s? Or is it that there are just more of them...

I hear of horror stories on the 996s...

Pls. help a new Porsche buyer!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26882

I think we got your message! :wink:

Every generation of 911s had its "issues", 964 had problem with oil leaks and DMF as well as the distributor belt, 993 with the dreaded wiring harness, hanging clutch and valve timing, and some others I can't remmember right now, and now the 996 has problem with liner and RMS problems.

They are all very well built and great cars to drive, and if you sell enough cars, some of them are bound to have problems and the owners are more likely to mention it in forums like this one.

However, one thing concerns me is that althought the previous cars had "issues", the clever lot had found a cure of some sort for them. The 996 has not, other than a new engine, with no promise that the same won't happen again. You also have to know that the GT3, Turbo and the RS all have 964 blocks which don't have the RMS problem.

Go ahead and buy the car that makes you smile as they are very different cars to drive. Just be aware of the possible "issues" but don't lose sleep over it as there are ways round the problems, otherwise you just can't enjoy it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26888

Thanks Mick. Yes, sorry about the font! (my first posting - I know now...).

Am impressed with the 996 (drove a C4) from a style, safety and performance viewpoint, but fear a crippling engine bill - and the thought of it spoiling my fun.

Have yet to drive a 993, but the offset pedals and dated interior put me off...(perhaps white dials will help here). Not sure how safe the 993 is as it is such an old design, but side impact bars were introduced on it. It is clearly the enthusiasts car though.

Ah, I thought the GT3 and Turbo had 993 blocks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26889

You can always get a Porsche warrenty to cover the engine problems for the 996. They are much more modern but for some it has lost some of the rawness of the previous 911s. For me the 993 is just as "refined" as I'd like it, for comfy long motorway work we'll just take my wife's car! You must try both the 993 and 996, they are quite different!

As far as I know (which isn't very far) 993 and 996 GT3 etc all use the blocks with 964 part no.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26890

Two different cars, but don't believe everything you read about not being able to do long motorway journeys in a 993.

Recently I have been doing a weekly commute of just under 300 miles each way in the 993 and it is fine. Could of course be an age thing for some of the older owners on here :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26897

Stock 993 is great for M-way trips, good family car too with bags of space for the little one. But by the time you change the shocks/spings/mounts/exhaust etc (like I have), it get a bit harsh, and it sometimes get a bit tough for the old bones (and no, I'm not THAT old! :p ) after a couple of hours. But still the smile will be more than enough to compensate.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26908

Likewise- I have a standard 993 Targa which I commute in from time to time- a 1.5 hr trip. It scoots along the m-way very comfortably, and then there is the 1/2 hr b-road blast from the m-way to home! The ride/noise is just fine even for a fusspot like me.

Can't dispute the safety angle, if that bothers you and no question the 996 is much more refined. The trade-off is less rawness and 'edge' which I like.

There are loads of 996s about, most I suspect have not needed new engines. The RMS can be fixed generally for not a lot of money. It would be helpful if there could be a definitive survey to put this matter to bed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27008

Could someonr tell me what an RMS is!?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27121

Bank the cash you save on an old 996 (over a neat 993) and if the engine goes it'll only be £6-8K. If it keeps going you're quids in!! (a new 993 engine ££ will bring tears to your eyes)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27123

Put a Porsche warranty on the car, £725, you can renew it annually untill the car's 11 years old or 110,000 miles.

You need a 111 point check done first but you can allways use that as the Pre Purchase inspection

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27128

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back