Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Catastophic engine failure 997 S

panathas

On Thursday 17th of March, 2 days after my 997 S came back from the dealer after the second battery failure. I was driving and the engine seized up suddenly and the rear wheels blocked. The next day, the car was taken to the porsche dealer, and they discovered a hole in the engine. Nice dream car! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26592

Sorry to hear that.

When you say hole in the engine what exactly do you mean?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26600

by hole i mean- a 1 by 2 inch hole above the cam belt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26601

Shocker.Do you get offered a new car or is engine replaced?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26610

Oops! Laydeeees and Gennlemen, do we have the 997's 'RMS'?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26611

I got offered my car back but only for it to be bought as a second hand car (with only 5000miles on the clock) They also offered to replace the engine, but said I had to keep the same engine number. (replacing the engine would take until may, as it has to be brought from Germany) I did have a word with the Porsche GB, but all they did was back up what my dealer had said.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26619

Come on. Engines fail sometimes. They have offered you a new engine. What's the big deal?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26620

Well, if your engine ever fails (directly after a week long inspection) good luck to you, and I hope you accept the replacement offer. Personally I have lost faith in Porsche. Also- If your engine fails (hopefully it wont) you might find it a big deal!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26621

I for one would not want to be in the outside lane of the M6 in heavy traffic when my engine siezes! Porsche are lucky you weren't injured or they could be liable for a major lawsuit, especially given the car is a) new and b) just been serviced.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26624

thanks for the understanding and sympathy! Has anybody else had any similar failures? I kno that there isn't a large number of these cars going around, but I think ive seen another 997 S getting its engine (possibly) replaced at my dealers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26635

As the car is so new I would have thought you would be entitled to a significant refund of the original cost price of the car or a new replacement vehicle. I know other manufacturers have done this in the same circumstances.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26642

I asked for a refund or a new car, they promised me both, and after 2 weeks of discussion, and the rising of false hopes for getting my dream car back (!) they refused both, and so, im taking them to court.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26644

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by JamesThomas on 06 April 2005

Oops! Laydeeees and Gennlemen, do we have the 997's 'RMS'?
RMS is something different. Results in an oil leak, not catastrophic engine failure.

The 997's is essentially the same engine as the 996's. Why wouldn't there be a risk of engine faiure??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26646

Sorry to hear about the engine failure. Touch wood, I have had no problems yet. How did you run the car in during it first 1000 miles?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26653

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back