Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 911 for my first????

Russell Marsh

Hi there

I have been saving up for my first 911 and i am now in need of some advice.

I have been looking through many adverts for cars and i have a max price of £12500 but the problem is do i go left or right hand drive and do i go fo a good sc or a early 964?

The car would not be an every day car .

Any thoughts would be very helpful

Many thanks

Russell

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25937

Hello have a look at this one on Ebay maybe a good start item no 4538075550 price is not to bad first bid £6000. Its right hand drive far easier to sell on as well then when you up grade maybe?.

Been looking myself for ages to cover yourself get a PPI done on any 911 that you go after.I have had three done on so called good 911's all came back very poor and people, were asking silly money all because of the badge on the front of the car.

Make sure it has full service history as well.

GOOD LUCK

SEE YA

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25940

Hi Russell

Have you considered a 3.2? Should be able to get quite a nice one for that money.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25942

Had the same dilemma myself last year. Ended up with a LHD '82SC which i use at the weekend and i love it to death.

I agree with SEE YA look at many and don't dive in i looked at many and sometimes i had seen enough after 30 sec. Luckily i found a peach of a car with full leather inc dash full history, turbo fuchs and only 80k from new. Nice ones are out there.

Personally i would start with the SC and then consider a 964 as believe they will cost you a lot more to run. (Tell me if i,m wrong)

And get an PPI done-that should be your mantra.

Just give us a shout we are all here to help and advise.

PS mine is LHD and have not found it an issue,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25943

3.2 Carrera, G50 gearbox, about 1987 or 1988, few problems and just before they dropped the concertina bumpers, no abs, no power steering but massive enjoyment and low depreciation.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25946

With that budget you should be able to get a tidy LHD 3.2 with G50 box, best bet I think.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25953

Hello found you another one on Ebay no 4538076724

SEE YA

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25955

Hi there

many thanks for all the positive comments, its great that you have taken the time to help a newcomer...

thanks again and keep the advice coming

Russell

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25957

Hello we have all been there :)
Let us all know how it goes,and what you get in the end.Another one on Ebay no 4537204191

SEE YA

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25958

Look for a 3.2 carrera,i wouldn't bother with LHD, good history loads of bills, get it inspected, forget ebay- who'd buy a 20 year old car at an auction!!

The best money tou'll ever spend on it will be a PPI before you buy it

be carefull with 964's they cost fortunes to put right

Mark Pearce

www,stirlings.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25974

I bought a 3.2 carrera for my first 911, I have had it for nearly two years and no regrets, and no major problems.

I bought a LHD because you can get much better condition for the same money. It makes very little difference out on the open road. Look for low owners, full history and one that hasn't been messed about with.

Good luck, and look at a few before you buy.

Matt.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25975

I agree with you Matt. Don't be put off by LHD mine was in far better nick than any UK car i looked at that where the same money.

Thinking of selling my SC for a late 3.2. Do you guys think it is worth the swap?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25979

If you're SC is mint, i would say probably not. The difference is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. The 3.2 is a bit faster, and has slightly improved handling/brakes, but in 90% of normal road use I doubt you'd notice. They are very similar from the inside too.

If you want a big difference then get a turbo...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25984

From my experience i'd spend £10500 on a good sc and keep the other £2000 aside for future servicing and repairs. I've spent that in the last six months on my sc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25987

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back