Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Targa Custom 3rd Brake Light !

Porsche

right then, I've mentioned this in the past.. although have only just got around to taking pics....

993 Targa = ISSUE = No 3rd brake light.. obviously the upper roof light from the 993 Coupe won't work due to the glass roof....

so it's the Porsche Rear Hoop Spoiler instead..... for about �300 and quite frankly looks like a handle.. NOT FOR ME ! as below

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/345.jpg

but I wanted a rear 3rd brake light, as esp in London, being quite low down I was in fear of some 4x4 driving over me..... or cars driving into the back of me....... the benefits of the raised 3rd brake light are well proven...

so I had to find one myself....

I needed a brake light that would fit in thew lower part of the rear window, on the rear parcel shelf.. but critically it must fit in the steeply racked windown of the back of the 993 Targa and be thin enough to still fit with the glass roof down !

surprising more difficult than I realised ! so after checking out the backs of many cars.. I found out that most car 3rd brake lights were in the top of the rear window rather than the bottom ! but eventually found the solution to be closer to home ! from the Audi TT Coupe....

the rear unit was about �28 and the wiring loom was �18 (although it was the loom for all the rear electrics !)

I then did some adjustments to the light unit, in the view that the plastic surround was curved (per TT rear window) but the Targa window is straight ie. I cut and shaped the plastic .. very crude but effective.. (sharp scissors, stanley knife and carpet rubbing !), then I stripped / cut, unravelled away the excess wires so that I only had the loom I needed.....

took apart the rear panels.. quite easy.... and with some double sided tape stuck the unit to the rear shelf... but had some help from a Porcshe technician friend to wiring the single positive cable to the rear brake lights...... and that was that ! all for less than �50 !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25431

Pics of how it's been for the past few months, works perfectly using the latest LED Brake light technology from the Audi TT, not some average Halfords type.....

this weekend I'm going to take it off and re-position it a bit more central, but after I've trimed te plastic cover for the rear wiper ! and take more pics of the installation.. so for now here it is...

view from the inside ! that's all it is ! no mess, just a strip of plastic that's look normal !

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMG_7558.jpg

view from the outside..note the curve in the unit ! which hardly nothing !

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMG_7565.jpg

from the side.. yes a bit of condensation but it was zero degress when I took the pics.. but have an easy solution to fix that !

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMG_7566.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25432

and then from the all important rear ..

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMG_7567.jpg

so I have a visible rear brake light.. and that's what matters...!

pics from rear don't really do it justice, as from the rear a car / any vehicle can see the 3rd brake light very clearly !

and I've avoided the more expensive handle hoop spoiler ! circa £50 v £300 ! that's paid for a track day !

will do some repositioning this weekend to get it a bit more central, but otherwsie perfect ! ?

so what do you all think.. esp fellow Targa owners !

not bad from a bloke with a few tools ! and no proper experience before ! but relying on energy and enthusiasm
s2.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25433

Well done Sundeep - how long before we see Sundeep Inovations Inc ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25434

why isn't it in the middle? look good though, my 3rd light is in the aerokit 1b spoiler

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25435

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 11 March 2005

why isn't it in the middle? look good though, my 3rd light is in the aerokit 1b spoiler
because the casing from the rear wiper is in the way.. as you can see rfom one of the pics...i've now doen some trimming.. to re-position it, which is much better

that was 1st get it working attempt..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25437

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 11 March 2005

Well done Sundeep - how long before we see Sundeep Inovations Inc ?
let's not forget when I fried my telephone ! on my DIY car kit !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25438

:D
yeah i dont think alan sugar has much to worry about just yet. But from acorns grow.............

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25439

Is it fully visible with the spoiler raised?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25440

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Martyn1 on 11 March 2005

Is it fully visible with the spoiler raised?
yes.... the spolier level is quite low....... when I reposition it this weekend I will take more pics + with spolier in the up position..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25442

well done Sundeep, Looks good.

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25451

Sundeep,

Is your targe turbo body ? Looks very wide in the pic

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25467

NB of course....

WB I WISH !!!

it's prob' that zymol !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25468

I have been Told Supagard (paint polish) is as good as zymol ? its cost about the same ?

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25469

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back