Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

oil ?

Fuchs

Basic question i know, but i bet there are lots of different answers. What oil do people use? Whats should i use in my 95 993 C2 ? any brand preferable to others? What weight oil? I really am clueless with this - all help graciously received.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25256

Hello mobil 1 some people say is the best?

SEE YA

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25270

There was a thread on PH not too long ago where a guy who seemed to know a heck of a lot about oil (works in the industry or something) and was very helpful in telling you what oil is good for your particular car. He's told me about my C2 but can't remmember what, probably Mobil-1, you should be able to find it with a search there. Since the cam cover gasket leak was fixed I've not had to top up between services so I don't even know what oil goes into my car, shame on me...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25274

Warren.. the oilman is Simon, who also posted on the PCGB forum.. here is his post and with my follow up response specifically for the 993....

a long read (A few posts !) but worth while.....

there is his email address on the post, although if you want I can post any questions on the PCGB site..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25278

Some basics here so it may be worth reading before requesting a recommendation. OLDER MODELS (late 70's to early 90's) Your handbook will state to use only Porsche Approved oils - well, they would say that wouldn't they. Your handbooks will list older API spec oils such as SF, SG, SH, SJ etc however, All API ratings are backward compatible. Therefore, an SL rated oil will be just fine for an SH, SG or SF rated vehicle. However, on a newer vehicle that calls for an SL rated oil, it is not recommended that you use an oil that does not indicate that it meets the SL standard. A quick point about API specifications. API specifications are minimum specifications for oils. They exist for your safety so that you have reasonable assurance that an oil will "adequately" protect your engine. However, these are not, by any means, a standard by which you could determine whether an oil was good or not. As an example, you'll find that even a cheap oil which costs next to nothing will most likely carry the API SL rating. That should tell you something about how hard it is to attain that rating Moving on, your handbook will have a chart which will list data something like this - -10 to +40 degC 20w-40 or 20w-50 -15 to +40 degC 15w-40 -20 to +35 degC 10w-40 or 10w-50 -25 to +20 degC 10w-30 "All year round fuel economy oils" -35 to +40 degC 5w-40, 0w-40 For the UK climate there is a wide range of oils that you can consider but you should take a couple of factors into account before making your selection and they are as follows: Age of vehicle Engine condition Use of vehicle (road/track etc) The reason to consider these is that older engines tend to like thicker oils as they tend to quieten down the components and older pump designs are inefficient. If you are using the car as a daily runner it's a completely different story to using it on a track where the engine will be more stressed and running higher temps. The Quality of the oil is important Moving onto the most important factor in selecting an oil, it's a cost/benefit equation. The pecking order for quality is from worst to best as follows: Mineral Oils Hydrocracked/Molecularly modified mineral oils Poly alpha olefins (Synthetic) Esters (Synthetic) As I have mentioned before, all oils "shear" or thermally breakdown with use but not at the same rates. Mineral oils require the most frequent changes and Synthetics the least. Synthetics are not petroleum based and therefore more pure and uniform making them more thermally stable as a basestock. The Viscosity improvers in Mineral and HC/MC oils which are required to meet wide temperature ranges have a tendency to "shear" with use meaning that the oil will not retain it's upper viscosity. So, all that explained, it's important to note that oils are sold in all viscosities and made up of all different basestocks, for example. You can obtain a 10w-40 mineral, HC/MC or Synthetic but without doubt if you want a good 10w-40 the Synthetic is the best choice should you want the best protection over a longer period. So, what's best for older Porsches? Viscosities such as 10w-40, 10w-50 and 15w-50 would be the best choice. Stay clear of sae 60, firstly because it's not recommended and secondly it's too thick which can cause "oil drag" and slow circulation. As a grade 10w-50 is a good selection as it gives better cold start protection than 15w-50 but also gives the same high temperature protection of sae 50. Look at true synthetics as they are more "shear" stable and therefore better for those times when you wish to do a bit of "spirited" driving. A synthetic should contain poly alpha olefin or ester, the best ones are a blend of the two. NEWER MODELS (993, Boxster, Ceyanne etc) These cars are much simpler from an oil selection point of view and here I would recommend following your handbook closely and using Porsche Approved Oils. In almost all cases, they call for "all year round" type oils such as 5w-40, 0w-40 or 0w-30. Recently we discovered that Porsche are no longer approving anything other than 5w or 0w oils for use in the 993 (disconcerting as we know of owners using 10w-60 oils in their 993's). The factory fill oils on all new Porsche models for the last few years has been 0w or 5w oils so you would be advised to use these thinner oils. These oils have some benefits over their heavier counterparts. Better Fuel Economy Better Power delivery (less oil drag etc) Required to meet new emissions So, what would we recommend here. Use Porsche approved ones, if it doesn't say so on the bottle don't use it. (we have a range of approved ones) Also check your handbook before buying. The issue of quality still arises and as mentioned above the use of "true" synthetic oils is a must to ensure that your engine is getting the best protection. Hope this helps Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25279

quote:ORIGINAL: Sundeep993 good stuff there Mr Oil.. so for your first recommendation.... Make : 993 Model : Targa Year : 1996 Engine size and type : 6 cylinder 3.6l 285bhp Varioram Modifications : Sports Air Box Type of driving (road/track etc) : 12-15,000 road miles pa + 2/3 track days pa Current oil used (brand and viscosity) : Mobil 1 0W40 (1500 mles ago) CURRENT MILEAGE : 92000 miles Stick to Mobil 1 or change to a 5w40 in view of the mileage & age ? regards
[/quote:HaidHdjBFO]Firstly Mobil 1 0w-40 is a good oil as its a PAO, proper synthetic. The OEM recommendation seems to be 5w-40 but the difference is the 0w test which is down to -35 degC. (5w is -30 degC) You can use either without problems. Could you buy a better oil? Well again tricky, from a synthetics perspective, esters are better as they are surface-active (electrostatically attracted to metal surfaces) this means that a protective layer is there at all times, even during that crucial start-up period. This helps to protect cams, gears, piston rings and valve train components, where lubrication is “boundary” rather than “hydrodynamic”, i.e. a very thin non-pressure fed film has to hold the surface apart. Even crank bearings benefit at starts, stops or when extreme shock loads upset the “hydrodynamic” film. Look at costs before you decide. (You can always email me) Hope this helps Cheers Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25280

quote:ORIGINAL: Sundeep993 so WHO would be my Ester Oil alternatives ? assuming Mobil 1 is not an Ester... is that correct ?
[/quote:kLxR1o9MVy]
Yes. Porsche Approved - Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 You'll need to email me for prices. Cheers Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25281

Cheers Sundeep - i appreciate your reply.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25282

Car was on Mobil 1 0W40 but at its recent 6k oil change the garage (authbahn) put in Valvoline 5W40..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25283

Whilst at Northways Reading for recent work, I asked about using Mobil 1 their advice was that its not their recommendation as its sooooo thin that it is more likely to leak than other oil.

Now Im a novice at this but I guess if you have thicker oil it wont leak, but I dont know if thats good in the long run..

Confused!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25288

Also had my car in at Northways for a 24K service a couple of weeks ago and was told the same thing, mobil 1 is too thin for older engines and finds all the gaps to leak out of instead of plug them. They recommended (and said use in all their own cars including 993 TT S) Texaco Havoline 10w 40 semi-synthetic which is thicker. Will be interested to see if my oil consumption goes down with the Havoline or makes no difference?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25371

after all the advise i received here and from the owners manual, i topped up yesterday with Castrol 10w - 40 Magnatec.

Even managed to drip some on my blue suede shoes - sh!t !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25387

Hello all so at the end of the day which one is the best e.g. older cars 80's and which one is best for later cars.

SEE YA

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25389

i understand it as such - older engine = thicker oil - less chance of springing a leak.

Newer, tighter engine - thinner oil.

Sundeep's posts above is very informative.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25390

Given all the above any suggestions for an 1984 911 turbo.

Bought three weeks ago, so have been having fun establishing true level, overfilled then removed two litres, nearly there, but now a leak somewhere... began using Mobile one to maintain level, maybe a thicker oil is needed? any comments much appreciated

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30947

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back