Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Money ! 25k

Daniel

Donnington
I have £25,000 to spend on a 993, what should i look for and what should that get me ?

It must be RHD !

Daniel

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24840

Keep looking, you might get lucky, my dad sold his in may 03 for £24,500, so they must be out there...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24843

Spend more or get a great LHD one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24847

Why do you say that Maxy M ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24848

From a dealer, a 25K 993 won't be that special - high miles certainly. A private sale would be better, but check overall condition and whether 'stuff' needs doing.

Last Sep I paid 26.5 for one with 72K - no leaks, clutch done, life left in brakes, recent rear shocks, recent alignnment check, refurbed wheels, good service history with JZ and just serviced. Peter Morgan thought it v good value.

But you can spend 25K and need to spend another 2 or 3 getting it right.

That said, 993 prices might start to drop (see Morgan's article in 911&PW). However, I see this as long term since 993s will continue to appeal to a v different market compared with, say, the Boxster. And as the weather improves, prices will firm up a bit.

But keep looking and see what you can find. Join PCGB and check the ads in PP. Join the Titanic 993 e-mail list.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24849

Buy privately- look in the back of the Porsche Club GB magazine and I reckon £25k will buy you a nice looking 95 or early varioram car with around 70-90k miles for £25k Or as Maxy says, go LHD, and get a lower miles or later car for the same money

Or spend a bit more and get a 996- I see a couple of early 996s with around 40-50k miles for about £28k.

Or spend less and get an absolute corker of a 964.

993s seem to command premium prices- will this last? Dunno...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24853

The 993 is the shape and vehicle i want, looked at 996's but not for me.. cos i hear horry stories about the engine problems.

And you will all agree the 993 is a far better car?

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24857

Objectively, it's not a better car - the 996 is faster, handles better, is more comfortable etc

subjectively, probably :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24859

And what about the engine problems i keep hearing about ?

Dan :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24860

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel Sait on 26 February 2005

Exactly. Stick to the idea of a 993. As I said to Mrs Maxy this afernoon as we drove along in the 993, what modern car could deliver so much character and driving involvement? (At least for 25-35K.) And with a 993 chances are your financial outlay will be more predictable - and maybe lower, not least because 996 depreciation has quite a way to go yet.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24862

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel Sait on 26 February 2005

postamble();
I wouldn't let that alone put you off 996, after all, only a very small percentage of 996 were affected, and you tend to hear it more on enthusiast forum like this. I mean, many thousands of 996 are motoring everyday without a hitch but they won't be posting here everyday praising it. Each generation of 911 had its problem, 964 with leaking heads and DMF, 993 with wiring loom and hanging clutch, now 996 with RMS, sooner or later they'll find a fix for it I'm sure, somehow.

However 996 and 993 are very different cars, chalk and cheese. I personally much prefer 993 but 996 is faster, more sophisticated, better handling car. Point to point it will be faster than 993, but with 993 you'll want to turn round and do it all over again and again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24867

£25k.... 1994 or 1995 models.. or a private 1996 varioram model...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25020

Thank you Vic, I may be being fussy ! But I was hoping for VARIORAM engine, after reading Peter Morgans buyer guide, The varioram engine was a better bulit engine.

But if you do see any others... you know where i am.

Thank you again for your time.

Dan :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25041

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back