Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 newbie-flat battery advice...

Darren Walker

Hi be great if someone could give me some advice. Just picked up my first 996 (96 N)on Sunday.It had a new battery on sunday, but has been on my drive with a cover over it since.I've just noted a buzzing type sound from under the engine compartment. I tried the keys and found the doors not opening suggesting a flat battery, which decided to disconnect.An alarm siren set off all be it very quiet so i connected the battery and the sounds ceased. Is it common for 993's to aquire flat battery's after such a short period of non-use.Can anyone tell me what if any procedure i should take on re-connecting a charged battery and re-starting the car...

many thanks Darren

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24734

993 is known to draw a small current even when not used, probably due to immobilisers or something. On top of that the battery is probably quite old, and therefore won't hold the charge as well. It should hold charge for at least 3 wks and start without problem, if not then the battery's probably had it.

Open the door and access the battery with key and reacharge it, and as soon as there's enough charge you should be able to use the remote to switch off the alarm. Alternatively you can jump-start it. At least that's how I dealt with mine, but may be different alarm has different "procedure".

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24738

If the battery is disconnected or totally flat there is a procedure for restarting- look in the manual for the detail, but you need to let the car run at idle for about 10 mins before driving to let the ECU reset itself.

My 993 is fine for at least a week with the alarm on.

Have someone check the car out so see if there is an abnormal amount of current being drawn when the car is switched off. They could also test the battery- it may be a dud.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24768

Thanx for the replies, i think there must be an abnormal amount being drawn from somewhere as the battery is not a week old yet, unless its a dud or has been on the shelf for some time...i'll get it tested!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24778

My 993 TT usually does about 2 weeks before the battery starts to complain, however the tell tale signs are a machine-gun flicker of the dash lights....then a very nice alarm pitch.....which then as mentioned above requiers a jump start.

I considered getting a trickle charger / maintainer, however wasn't too keen on having this connected with the alarm being off. I just take the beast for a little gallop on the weekend, and it's quite happy sitting snuggly in the garage for up to 2 weeks.

It does look like a duff battery -

'98 993 Twin Turbo, Black/Black with Aluminium dials

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24811

Why would would you need to have the alarm off with a battery maintainer ?

Darren is it a factory alarm or post factory ? Clifford are well known for draining batteries.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24834

I have the same problem - this car has a battery cut off switch next to the battery - allows battery to be disconnected and the switch handle to be removed as a deterent. This 993 had 3 batteries in as many years - hence the battery switch.Also I have replaced one - foolishly with a genuine Porsche battery at 120 quid. Not next time!
I am trying a solar cell battery maintainer - doesnt work too well in winter though! The cable runs from the battery via a fee standing cig lighter (so it can be easily disconnected) socket out past the bonnet rubbers and in through the door opening. The rubbers allow the doors to be locked with the alarm set. The cig socket inside the car doesn't work because its only live when the ignition is on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24854

The car has a pa2000 alarm...do these trickle chargers really work...Stevo mate, what was involved with fitting the battery isolator...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24858

I'll do some pictures shortly - but the isolator is bolted next to the battery and takes the two connections in, then allows a clunky switch to either pass the current or not!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24881

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/PICT0201s.jpg

/UploadedForumImages/PICT0199s.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25297

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/PICT0199s.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25298

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211