Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Will 993 Turbo brakes fit a 993 on 17's ?

Porsche

Donnington
considering my brake plans...

and what else is needed apart from the callipers, discs & pads ? to upgrade to 993 Turbo spec....???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23430

very expensive, you are looking at over £400 per corner, not worth it unless you track the car regularly and run long enough for the standard brakes to go off, and then its usually because you can't drive properly.

Thats what Steve from JZM told me when I asked about up-grading.

I think the best set-up is a combination of turbo and RS brakes

Check out the rennlist.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23438

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 30 January 2005

I think the best set-up is a combination of turbo and RS brakes
cheers...

considering outing turbo up front and keeping the same rears.... but with special cooling :wink:

ain't really much of a rennlister...so what's this turbo & RS combo...

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23439

You're basically talking about the Big Red. If you use the Turbo set, the front vs rear bias is slightly different on the Turbo. The bias on the RS however is the same as the NA 993. The rear of Turbo and RS are the same. Hence RS front and Turbo rear for us. At least that's how I understand it anywy.

The NA brakes are already very good. (you can only brake as hard as the tyres will let you) The main advantage of Big Red is that they don't overheat as quickly compared to NA brakes. But as Poon already said, unless you track you car a lot, and stay out on the track for a long while at a time, it's really not worth the ££££. And you have to take into account the extra wt the Big Reds gain, esp when they're unsprung wt.

I've thought about this myself for sometime, and come to the conclusion that, as I'm only doing less than 10 track days a yr max, I just come in after 4-5 laps most and let the brakes cool down a little before going out again. I'm normally bl**dy knacked after 4 laps and start to loose concentration anyway. Thats whyI'm now spending the money on improving the handling instead.

If you just like the look of the Big Red, you can always get the black calipers powder coated red. Isn't that what you did Poon?

BTW, back to the question, yes the do fit 17" wheels.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23440

Mick has said it all! Yes my calipers were powder coated red, although the fronts has discoloured slightly after bedford when I forgot to do a cool down lap and parked up (hand brake off) and started talking to Noony, looked at the car and see smoke and flames from the front brakes!!!

Hopped in it and drove around the car park.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23441

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back