Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 or 993TT

manek

Montreal
It's a philosophical dilemma as much as anything else. The upgrade for the dear old C2 has to be a step change. Question is, do I go the luxury route or the hard and fast route?

My heart wants a TT -- oh yes! But my head goes for a mid-life 996, as most of my driving (what little I find time to do these days) is on motorways, and I find the 993's offset pedals uncomfortable if not mildly painful after an hour or so. Maybe a 996, then buy a 993TT when I have more time to drive it?

Help please -- though I just KNOW what you're going to say!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23246

So where have you been Manek - no posts for ages ???

Given that situation I'd be tempted by a LHD GT3 (£45k ?). Or actually why not a LHD 993TT to get over the pedal offset problem ? RSJ have one a the moment which looks very keenly priced.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23248

Errr, actually I was talking rubbish, RSJ had a LHD 993C4S at a very good price but it's sold !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23249

I've been buried deep in work -- not least, spending a lot of my time editing Pistonheads! Which is one reason why I haven't had time to even surf around...

I thought about a LHD 993TT -- I wouldn't rule it out. I hadn't thought about a GT3 -- I guess that's also a possibility.

But there's plenty of time, as my company's year-end doesn't happen till May and only then will I know what's possible, financially.

In the meantime, pop on over to PH (sorry Phil!).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23251

GT3 or 996 Turbo. LHD? Otherwise a 993TT!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23256

I know I've got plenty of time to reflect on this -- a few months -- but who doesn't like to plan these things well in advance, preferably over a beer and or a curry??

996 Turbo -- not quite in my league yet, though it's a big want! Maybe the car after next...

But a GT3? Have thought about now and I'm not sure that really answers my needs. I want a car that's capable of real-world driving too, eg long-distance stuff. I'd prefer to do that in a degree of comfort, and not emerge after a six hour drive strung out from noise, hard suspension and other track-oriented features. Even assuming I could afford one.

But hey, maybe I'll change my mind when I drive one...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23261

My post was partially in jest... But I keep saying to myself that on account of RMS and engine failures, the only 996s I'd have are the Turbo and the GT3. (Mind you, being pretty new to Porsche ownership - and very content with my 993, I'm not exactly planning a change right now. But these things are always in one's mind, eh?)

But you're right, aside from reliability issues (and it's not exactly clear how big the 'risk' is) and price etc, the big thing is what are the cars like to drive and do they do it for you? There's also the issue of rear seating, maybe...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23262

Rear seats? What are they for? :wink:

The RMS doesn't faze me since most of those will be fixed by now but, if I did go for a 996 non-turbo, it'd have to be a highly specced one with plenty toys to make up for the lack of added grunt...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23275

got to be a LHD 993TT IMHO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23283

993 TT gets my vote as well

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23285

Hmm, now a birdie just whispered 996 C4S in my ear....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23293

im having the same problem.

also the closer i get to £50k the more other cars start coming into the picture, sl500, ferrari 355, ferrari 550.

I do love the look of the 993 tt and the 996 c 4s isn't bad!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23333

Im biased, but the 996 just does not visually do it for me, get a 993tt you won't regret it, fast enought for the new stuff but still retains some idiosyncratic soul. IMO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23347

LHD 993 TT for low £30k's

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23358

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 993tt on 28 January 2005
Im biased, but the 996 just does not visually do it for me, get a 993tt you won't regret it, fast enought for the new stuff but still retains some idiosyncratic soul. IMO
Know what you mean, but the 996 C4S is just about visually different enough...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23370

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a1jgh
Back