Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic plus/minus

Drooper

I'm a newbie to the 911 world and have decided to by a 993 Cab for the missus as a surprise 40th birthday present (I might even let her drive it occasionally :) )

I decided on a 993 because they appear to give the best compromise between the convenience of modern motoring, age and the beauty of a classic 911. One thing I am pondering over is the choice between tipronic or manual. I would be interested to hear any or all opinions on the relative merits of each.

cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22727

see previous post "tiptronic or not"
As for my opinion i thinks its a brilliant piece of kit.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22728

Yes. Its much better than I expected ; it was the only way I was going to get my wife to drive a 993.

I find second too low though

993 Targa

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22729

I had 4 speed tip on my 993 and Mrs Hendo definitely appreciated the 'auto' bit. I found it lively enough for my needs and its only better IMHO with the 5 speed version on the 996.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22737

I wouldn't probably have a 993 cab if it wasn't for it having tiptronic S - it would have failed the wife's test drive. Unfortunatlely, she saw a manual 993 coupe beforehand and was horrified by the offset driving position and the heavy clutch.

993's don't drive like a Boxster, or even it's more serious brother the 996, so the tiptronic makes the car a more accessible proposition.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22745

plus....... you can pretend to be a finger flicking F1 driver.. and the ladies love it !

minus.. slush box in a supercar = dilutes the experience with a mere 4 speeds in 'today's choice

conclusion = I'm not a fan... I'll rather have a slush puppy :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22752

Does the Tiptronic add to maintenance costs? ie another piece of technology to fail? or is it sorted?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22779

should be rock soild.. to 150k+ easily outlasts a manual...

but added servicing costs & worse fuel economy...

slush puppies from woolworths are cheaper !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22785

Following example from JZM's website :

Gearbox rebuild (plus worn parts)
£997.00
Gearbox rebuild Tiptronic
£1550.00

Although wit tip no clutch to replace between 50/70000 miles :

Clutch
£835.00

All ex vat

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22818

New Threads