Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 RMS problems !

Porsche

Donnington
from the rennlist...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=179949

From the 997 discussion forum:I can now officially verify for everyone that Porsche has NOT fixed the RMS problem on the 997 (and, now, I should add, presumably, the new Boxster).My car (launch 997s) now has just over 7,150 miles on it and I took it to my dealer this morning to have the oil changed. I also asked them to take a look at everything else to make sure there were no problems. In the process of doing that, the mechanic spotted slight RMS leak. The necessary parts are on order now and the dealer is going to fix it ASAP early next week. Of course, I grilled my service advisor about the situation, explaining it was unacceptable and they said they are going to take care of it. He said they frequently fixed this same problem on base 996s (as I knew) but he explained that they key was fixing it early on. He said some customers with out-of-warranty 996s or Boxters would be told about an RMS problem but would not fix it due to the price (about 10 labor hours), which only compounded problems for such owners later down the road. Based on the experiences the rest of you have had (and what you have read), it would be good to develop a consensus about how "serious" this problem really is, given the launch of a new generation of 911s by Porsche.This, of course, raises another issue. I definitely will NOT keep this car outside of warranty.+++I truly believe that the problem is not whether or not you keep the car.......the problem will be selling the car. After all lets all be frank here............would you buy a Pcar with RMS problems. And that my friends is the underlining problem with RMS issues and major mechanical flaws. Hence the quick depreciation value of these vehicles. Soemtimes it is better to just lease the vehicle.Good luck on your problem I hope it all gets resolved.+++I told all of you a while back that this would NOT be corrected in the 997. I had a gut feeling. Think about it, PAG CAN fix this issue. Hell, if they can build a supercar like the CGT it would certainly seem to me they could tackle RMS and should have years ago.But we keep buying them and paying their prices to keep them #1 in profitability on top of the fact that these RMS repairs are keeping many dealerships in business. In PAG's eyes, why fix the RMS, they don't have to.+++The Dealer is giving you a bunch of BS about fixing it early will prevent problems later. What a crock car dealers will say anyhthing.+++It is BS. Stop the production line, find the source, beat the crap out of the engine builders, MAKE IT RIGHT and stop sending out failure-prone cars. It's ridiculous. Can't believe there hasn't been a class action on this one.+++A class action experienced attorney, tried to get stats (from this board) to support exploring a class action. He owns a CTT & 911TT, benefits acquired from a class action suit, by his own admittal.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22705

Hopefully this problem will be solved before my car arrives in April?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24350

Ya gotta be kiddin'... :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24455

By the way, no worries if it's a company car and a) it's going after 3 years, b) you don't have to foot any repair bills and c) you don't have to stand the depreciation. (Unless it's your company, of course.)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24456

My company car, but it is my company, just got to make sure i get rid before warranty runs out!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24461

This is extremely bad news for residuals of 996s (except the GT versions) and now 997s.

I'm definitely hanging on to my 993 for as long as I can and, if I didn't have so much junk in my garage, would quite likely get another 993 alongside my current one (to avoid a 996 or 997). Even though the 993 is holding up well in price, they are really still a bargain for what you get, especially given their longevity.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24475

Know exactly what you mean. I've only had mine for 5 months, so I'm not exactly in the market for a chnage right now... but what next. 996 GT3 too raw for me (I suspect), so a Turbo then?

Or just a newer, lower miles mint 993?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24476

Any 996/997 Non Carrera right..... or a non Carrera 993 for a change.

I feel the same and was thinking about what I would get in addition to my 993 and apart from those I mention above if I want newish model I have to look outside of Porsche which is dissapointing. I buy on my own personal account and the RMS issue just is too much exposure and hassle for me.

Aston Martin comes to mind....

Guess I'm in trouble now.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24477

Although apart from a 993 Twin Turbo for the extra power I can't think of anything that I like more than my present "S"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24478

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by WillD on 18 February 2005

Aston Martin comes to mind....

Guess I'm in trouble now.....
A DB7 did cross my mind... But as I say, any decision like that is sometime in the future!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24484

DB5.....with modern running gear...yes please !

aklthough built to order still by AM but for £200k+

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24485

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back