Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HID headlight upgrade- 993

Robertb

Has anyone here had the xenon ugrade done for their 993? Is it worth it, or would some brighter bulbs and a good clean suffice?

Do you find other road users dislike them and flash you (have big probs with my E46 3-series withe xenons)

Thanks

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22631

Yes, done the upgrade and it made a BIG difference. Could not go back to stock now.

Occasionally get someone flashing but I know my alignment is good so I am not dazzling them - it's probably a do-gooder who doesn't know that Xenon lights even exist and thinks every car with Xenons has left their high beams on ;)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22632

Be careful with higher rated bulbs - i tried some "off road" 100w bulbs - not a huge amount more light but the major downside was that they ran so hot that they melted the plastic mount holding them in and they popped out breaking the earth connection and disabling the bulbs - now running the halfords 50% brighter and they are almost as bright as the 100w bulbs but do not melt the holders!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22640

if you haven't come the HID way yet.. I will sometime this year !

then Osram Silverstar bulbs are the best on the market.. not the halfolds!

and give the inside of your headlamps a clean and a quick adjustment = all the difference.... obviously not Xenon's but for about £20 it feels like a £200 upgrade !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22647

I have just put the Silverstar bulbs on, certainly brighter and whiter. I have taken photos of old and new on the same car just to show the difference. Let me know if anyone wants to see it.

Thought about the HID for ages, eventually decided not to go for it. The reasons are that I don't drive fast in the dark/min street lighting very often, and with a lot of them you lose the pull out feature of the unit. I know there's someone, can't remmember who, has a good web site / instruction to wire it so you can still have the pull out unit, but I'm just too lazy to do that for the amount I'd be using it. Still haven't ruled it out completely though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22649

It's very easy to retain the pull-out feature. In fact I have never heard of anyone losing this until your post!

The whole job took me 1.5 hours for both sides. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22654

Graham Mitchell,

can you advise on the kit that you used and where you bought it from. Like Butzi I am in two minds as to do it or not. I don't like the idea of mounting the ballast resistor in the luggage compartment and would rather mount everything on the headlamp.

Cheers.

pp

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22664

I got my kit from http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/ as did many Rennlisters. (It was formerly sold through autolamps-online.com unitl they set up the sister site).

If you wrap the ballast in foam (which the kit was conveniently wrapped in), it can be tucked into the headlight cavity before the rest of the headlight assembly is put into place. That seems to be the most common approach.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22668

I did the same as Graham.

You don't need to drive fast to get a benefit from a HID upgrade.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22677

the lights on my ferrari are total crap candles would be better will have to try some bigger bulbs

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22678

I got the HID upgrade from Ninemeister but haven't fitted it yet. Must admit to being happy enough with the lights as they are but as I've bought the upgrade I will fit them when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22687

Yup, I had it done, would never go back. I bought mine from Ninemeister, and had them fitted (very professionally) by Auto Solutions in Wembley. He will even drive to you if it's a reasonable distance...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23244

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back