Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Import Insurance

JamesThomas

Silverstone
Hi folks,

Can someone recommend an insurer who is happy to quote on LHD import, obviously non-UK spec, 993's? I ran a search on Confused.com and most of the obvious ones (Admiral, NU, etc.) said they don't deal with imports and the remaining insurers who did charged extortionate premiums.

Cheers, James.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22306

I'm going to be insuring with elephant. Its a german import and there were no worries from their point of view. I'm currently with admiral who quoted me unhappy and were'nt prepared to match their sister companies quote. Incidentally Elephant quoted £680.00 and admiral quoted £1,186.00. Hmmmm should I deliberate???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22308

Elephant are good, my LHD 964 is with them and they had no problems with it and were the cheapest. Might be a different situatio nthis year though when i try and get a cheaper low mileage quote!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22309

Admiral were fine with me on a LHD import (despite Elephant telling me the previous year that they wouldn't cover it) - I'd go through their website very carefully, it's quite difficult to isolate exactly which model you have using their definitions - keep tweaking it until you find the right one. Same goes for Elephant (and Bell Direct for that matter), same web format, just different colour !! (they are the same company after all !). If you end up talking to them on the phone don't be fobbed off, they tried to tell me that they wouldn't insure my new 964 when the website clearly said they would - these people seem to be barely above pond life and have little or no understanding of our cars - it's best to ask to speak to a supervisor straight away as you can almost guarantee that you will need to eventually !!!!!! Good luck and be persistent, they want your money after all !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22310

A lot of the insurers are ok with LHD as long as the car is UK registered. I've just renewed mine yesterday with Privilage which cost me just under £600. All the others quoted over £1k, this is, however, with £1500 voluntary excess.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22320

Thanks for the input all.

I punched in some details into Confused.com which searches loads of insurers for you - admittedly it's a blunt instrument, but I find it useful for getting ballpark quotes to then follow-up on the phone. First I put in a RHD car (993 worth £20k - I can hope!) and came up with a best quote of £1300-ish (with Admiral - I'm 27 but have a clean license and full NCB). Putting in a LHD (same value car, but imported non-UK spec) and most 'declined to quote' and my best was £2200-ish.

Butzi - £1500 excess! You are a brave man!! My current motor got vandalised in the Lake District over New Year by locals and has cost me £600 to sort out - £500 excess, but unprotected NCB -> I weep!

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22448

I got around 650pa from Privilege and Norwich Union - for a LHD C4S valued by me at £30k...

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22451

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 07 January 2005

A lot of the insurers are ok with LHD as long as the car is UK registered. I've just renewed mine yesterday with Privilage which cost me just under £600. All the others quoted over £1k, this is, however, with £1500 voluntary excess.
£1500 excess !!!!! :eek:
.. or do you mean the normal £500 ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22452

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back