Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Performance Mods

Pickled Piper

I carried out a number of modifcations that have significantly improved the performance of my 993. Firstly, I added a good dose of screen wash and secondly I replaced the windscreen wipers with some good quality Bosch parts. The lack of smearing and ability to get the screen properly clean have rendered the car far more useable and notably quicker in the current winter weather.

Inpired by my first mods I then proceeded to fit the correct mounting bracket to hold my Road Angel in place. The RA no longer drops onto the passenger seat every time I put my foot down and consequently has significantly improved the acceleration, especially from a standing start.

My next performance mod is likely to be some aftermarket HID headlights. However, it's cold and wet outside and I really don't feel like dismantling my headlights. I may just fit some uprated bulbs and then add the HIDs in the spring.

Well, the car is a lot faster now. I wander if it would show up on a dyno run?

pp

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21265

Well I recently waxed mine (sorry Zymol people, Meguiar's but I will convert later). As well as looking a treat it's smoothed the airflow over the car. Paradoxically it's had the effect of dulling the performance: in this damp weather I've been reluctant to take the car out and get it dirty.

More seriously, I'm thinking of a K&N air filter sometime. Views? Anyone got one? Or can recommend something similar?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21268

Did read a bit about K&N filters for 993, a lot of it in Rennlist. They had problem with the rubber seal disintegrating. Apparently K&N had trouble with the mould and production halted. Not sure if they ever started again. I stopped using mine as many felt that the oil filter dosen't "filter" quite as well allowing dirt to get through, and the power gain claimed was questionable.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21270

I have Fitted a K&N filter.....

it's benefits are very questionable..... however I am giving it a go...... as to the fitting K&N are still have problems as it was near impossible to fit correctly..... (assuming that I did in the end ?!?!)

although I susepct more dirt may get in.. but the benefit is that after a few thousand miles (as after 4k mine was half black!) when the OEM paper filter is prob' dirty the K&N will still be providing a much high level of air flow

my BHP expectation is near zero.. but what I have expected is that the level of air flow is consistent, thus the benefit of the filter is that it will keep my up at stanndard all the time i.e. no loss as from dirty paper filter..

a fair assumption ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21277

Hmmm. Maybe I'll stick with the standard filter. Though I gather from the 'concours French 993' article in 911&PW this month that there's a genuine Porsche performance filter.

I'm really interested in efficiency as opposed to pure bhp...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21279

Fitted some Osram Silverstar bulbs which means I can driver faster at night (lights are now just about OK). And the car needs some front-end paintwork so bring on those stone chips

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21288

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by marx on 06 December 2004

Fitted some Osram Silverstar bulbs which means I can driver faster at night (lights are now just about OK). And the car needs some front-end paintwork so bring on those stone chips
so have I.... but for unlit roads there is better vision with the help from the headlamps from the vehicle behind :(

I really need a xenon upgrade !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21295

How about changing the standard Porsche air filter, once a month/bi-month. This will give you a perf gain at a little cost, with the added benefit of stopping more of the dirt.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21296

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Wolvreen on 07 December 2004

How about changing the standard Porsche air filter, once a month/bi-month. This will give you a perf gain at a little cost, with the added benefit of stopping more of the dirt.
considered it.. but at say £10 a time.. the costs do add up..

but then again a bulk group buy could make it worth while....(?)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21297

If you look at the HP/£, then it dosen't sound that great considering there's minimal (if any) gain in HP by changing filters. I think it'll need to be pretty grubby before you'd notice any power loss, so changing it at each service should be enough.

Can't remmember whether it was paper filter or K&N filter that needs to be a little bit dirty to perform the full filtering job, I think it might be K&N.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21298

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back