Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 2wd cab Vs 993 cab4

Ravi Kuppuraj

Hi, I have to decide between buying a 2wd 1995 cabrio and a 4wd 1995 cabrio. The price are about the same, but the 4wd has 90K miles as opposed to 50K for the 2wd. Both cars checked out OK (no major flaws, etc.) with a mechanic.

Can you share the pros and cons of each? I live in Seattle and the added front differential sounds more comforting in the rain, but..

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20909

depends on the price.. but if that ain't an issue, I would say the 2wd...

more space in the boot (just) lower costs to run & less to go wrong and RWD is the way to go.. for me 2wd is a no-brainer !

sure the handling in the wet can be hairy but that's part of the attraction ! FEAR YOUR CAR.. which I find a thrill !

anyway you can always use the manual right foot traction control regulating function if need be :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20910

Ravi,

I think I can help. I recently had the same dilema.

If all else is equal then buy on condition. I bought a C4 (Coupe) on this basis. Having said that, the four wheel drive does give you more confidence on wet roads. I am sure that most of the time I am driving well within the capabilities of a C2, however, knowing that I have four wheel drive allows me to exercise my right foot without worrying. I live in the UK and since I bought my car the roads have been wet or even icy. The 4WD definitely allows you to use the power in real world conditions. You also get the benefit of ABD.

The down sides of the 4WD are; theoretically more parts to go wrong and less luggage space.

Drive both cars and make up your own mind. Enjoy!

pp

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20918

Ravi

I'd agree with pp, and I have the C2 1995 Cab tip. If you drive hard then there'll be a difference between the two. If the condition of both is good, then the lower mileage would retain its value better if re-sale is an issue

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20919

Hi Ravi,

I had both of these models many moons ago and preferred the RWD version. I found that FWD somehow robbed the car of vital feel and feedback and there is also a weight disadavantage. I'm sure that in the right country and in the right conditions the FWD is a god send , it's just that i was never in a situation that justified having it !

I agree that the lower mileage C2 will be a better buy come resale time.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20921

Thanks folks -- I've scheduled another round of test drives this weekend.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20951

Whatever the outcome Ravi, you'll be looking this :D
for a long while

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20958

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back