Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Leather Versus..

jh72i

Any opinions among the folks about leather versus half-leather versus no leather...?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20559

Can you be more specific? Which car? Road or track.

Leather doesn't grip very well so if you are buying a track only car then no leather is prefereable.

For road cars, lack of leather will adversely influence re-sale value.

PP

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20661

Thanks for those opinions - I was just interested because I'm currently looking for the right car (right budget!) to come along and part of my spec has been full black leather interior. But I probably need a little convicing that its not so important.

I have seen a nice car advertised but it has half leather and...well, kind of.... brown, I suppose, pinstripe interior (ass part of seats and door trim, etc.) and it just doesn't do it for me. Although, I have read somewhere that it can be more practical (but can't remember why!).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20662

On my 3.2 carrera,i had half pin strip material and vinyl on the seats , with vinyl on the door panels which looked like leather. The pin strip material was very grippy throught the corners, but just make sure you get air whatever seat cover option you go for.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20665

"make sure you get air" - what does this mean, Warren?

Actually, I don't find the pinstripe so bad on the seats - but on the door panels, mmmm I just dunno. And, brown!?! Why did the original purchaser not got for black, like what was he/she thinking?!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20667

Air-con if you can - it was one of the main reasons i sold mine to a 993. In the summer it was unbearablein such a small cockpit.

I dont remember having the pinstrip on the door panel - it think it was just black vinyl.

The pin strip is ok - so is the Porsche logo material, but i agree, brown is pretty rank. Very 70's.

Good luck with whatever you go for .

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20668

If you are looking at buying a 3.2, which appeared to be what you were talking about in previous threads, then full leather will make it easier to sell on and seat heaters make this option more bearable in winter. Mind the relays though, they tend to burn out and it doesn't appear to be easy to establish whether the heaters aren't working because of this or an element failure.

However, like any model, the older you go, the rarer leather can be, so you pays your money ......... until you get back to when leather was the only choice, together with the man waving the red flag in front of the car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20676

Yeah 3.2 is still the one I'm after (with leather - which makes my next question a bit stupid I suppose). Do you seriously think it adds much value to a,say, 14 year old car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20677

Personally yes but leather can also look very tired. The shape of the sports seats also makes certain areas very prone to wear. This can be put right by reconnellising but recovering might be a better but more expensive alternative.

I'm sure most people on this site would say that your decision should be based on the history and condition of the car more than just the option list. Speaking from experience, it may be worth choosing a particular model and concentrating on finding the best one available suited to your budget. Which is exaclty what I didn't do!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20685

Of course you're right and if it ever came down to a better car with linen or a worse car with leather the choice would be obvious. Still, no harm in knowing what your ideal is and then compromising to fit budget etc. This will be a one-off for me so I'd like to get as much of the ideal as possible - the car will suffer serious depreciation because of the import tax we have so I won't be able to change, upgrade, etc. very soon.

And, so many cars have leather that I was actually surprised that a car of interest didn't when I first saw the pictures.

Hope your experiences haven't been all bad - I need to convince myself (and the wife-2-b) that I'm not making a huge mistake.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20687

I did wonder if you were able to source your car in Eire or if you were faced with importing. I recall the duty being huge. We have friends who are based in Dublin and Enniskillon, so I don't know if they had a way around that particular problem.

Met my better half in Dublin but thats another story.

Don't get the wrong idea about my experiences. I started off looking for a cheap convertible as part of my mid-life crisis, was pointed at the 968 and then road tested a 911, a car I'd never thought of buying, simply on grounds of cost. Smitten by the experience, I moved on to look at car after car but mainly 3.2 variants including the SE and SSE that was the subject of your other thread. I also spent a lot of time reading about the marque but not enough before I was bowled over by the turbo and spent far more than I intended but, at least so far, without regret. Mine isn't an every day car so the criteria are different.

If it's going to be day to day transport and based on the advice I received, I think a normally aspirated 3.2 coupe SE or SSE would be a more sensible choice with the Targa being a good open top compromise if the leaks and squeaks have been sorted. Personally I'd consider a targa for normal use and a coupe if I was headed for the track. Air conditioning should be near to top of your check list.

The G50 gearbox should be on the list as well because even if there is nothing wrong with its predecessor, lots of people say go for the G50 so it should be easier to sell on.

You might also find that the 964 is within your budget as they date from 1990. Lots of people dismiss the car and its looks seem to provoke some negative comment, but its a Porsche with accessories that make every day city life far easier (p/s for a start!) and you could find one that all of the known problems have been addressed at someone elses expense.

As to the better half, well my Toy provokes virtually no negative comment but then it wan't bought to transport the three kids! If I'd known more about Porsches, then I'd have bought one years ago, so perhaps now is the right time for you, before the wedding and the children, by which time she might insist on a Cayenne :oops:
or an RS2 or 4?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20689

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back