Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Cabriolet rear window

Rusky

Muppet question I know, we are interested in buying a 993 cabriolet and would like toknow what the rear window is mase out of. Is it glass or plastic, is it heated and does it cloud with time if it is plastic? Can it be replaced with a glass unit?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20490

It is plastic, and can not be replaced with glass as it folds in two when the roof is back. But I seem to recollect (perhaps from Renlist) that it is possible to change the roof mechanism with one that doesn't fold the window - but very expensive ??

With regard to clouding, mine is 9 years old and no clouding, but I think the previous owner garaged the car, and I use a car cover - ie keep the UV off of it and it should last. Mine does have a couple of scuff marks, which can perhaps be polished out (don't put anything on the rear parcel shelf). And I did manage to make a small deformation in the plasic, by putting the roof back with my daughter's 3 point harness still connected to the rear parcel shelf. With the roof up and the window under tension the stretch mark is not visible, and only reveals itself as I put the the roof back.

It is not heated, but that does not bother me - just use the heated wing mirrors. Having said that, I have not had much misting up in the 9 months I've owned the car, I guess because the roof is water tight. My previous cab was a Saab 900 with a heated glass window - needless to say I much prefer the 993 despite the plastic window.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20508

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back