Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sport / SuperSport

jh72i

Folks, can someone tell me the difference between an '87 3.2 Carrera Sport and an '87 3.2 Carrera Super Sport????

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20371

The Supersport is the turbo bodied version with turbo running gear I.E Turbo brakes

the sport has front & rear spoiler 16'' Alloys fuch style rather than pepper pots and a limited slip diff

Mark Pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20374

Thanks for the response Mark. Little embarassing to ask but what exactly is a pepper pot?

I am uploading (hopefully) 3 images: 1 coupe, 1 sport and 1 super sport. Can you briefly (I know you're far too busy for the likes of my dumb questions on a Monday morning!) tell me if there is visually any difference? I can see the last one has more black area around the front bumper and seem to have wider rear wheel arch - is that right or is it just the angle of the photo?

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Coupe.jpg

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Sport.jpg

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/supersport.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20378

Images 1 and 2 are both sports, non sports should not have the rear wing(basic body is the same for sport and non sport) bottom car is a supersport, has much wider Front and rear wings. Supersport Coupes are quite rare as the majority appear top be Targas or convertibles. Much more imposing to look at, but they have no performance advantage(possibly even disadvantaged due to extra weight)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20381

I just twigged what pepper pot means - slow start this morning.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20387

917k, thanks for that. I thought the top 2 were Sports but only one of them is advertised as such. The bottom one is a beauty but having done a search you seem to be right - they are hard to find. There was a lovely supersport convertible on 911virgin a couple of weeks ago - would make no sense for me to own but I looked at those images maybe 100 times before it was sold. And it was sold quickly!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20388

Just because a car has spoilers does not mean it is definitely a 'Sport'. It was possible to spec the spoiler pack as an option on a normal coupe (my old 3.2 had this option). Can't remember what the official 'Sport' option code was, but it would have consisted of the spoilers, sports seats (bigger bolsters) and Bilstein shocks (identifiable by green colour). As ever now that these cars are at least 15 years old they are not always what they seem or are advertised. The only way to tell for sure what you are looking at (or what the car started life as) is to check the option codes and chassis / engine number in the log book or under the bonnet.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20389

Ok, that makes sense.

--------'89 3.2 Carrera Coupe.....and it's for sale !
------

Where is it advertised, Jamie?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20390

Sorry, it's been sold - I must change that !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20391

Coupe, sport, supersport.

Jamie is right, a regular coupe could have been speced with a spoiler package. For the UK, we had a 'Sport' which was if you like a coupe, with 16" Fuchs, Bilstien (sport suspension) , spoiler pack and sport (turbo seats). That was 'our' Sport. The rest of the world seemed to be able to order their 911 with any or all of those options.

Some 'sport' will have had their spoilers removed.

Supersport was again 'our' designation; a turbo body, spoilers, wheels, seats, plus turbo suspension and brakes, noticeable by having the alloy calipers with porshe embossed, and option 490 491.

You can see more on my p2and4 site.

Adrian Crawford.
www.performance2and4.co.uk
www.911secrets.com

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20413

If its of any interest, the Supersport also had uprated anti-roll bars plus the complete rear suspension arms etc of the turbo. The option was first offered on the coupe but then extended to targas and cabriolets. The same is true of the turbo variants.

Any Documentation for factory uk spec cars will have SE for the sports and SSE for the supersports. Reference should also be made to the option details given on the vehicle manufacturers plate and in the sevice book.

As has been said above, there are a few SE's around that have had the rear spoilers removed. If you read some of the books, this apparently makes the car quite an "interesting" drive.

Comments on the additional weight etc are probably right. A good driver could probably achieve more in a "standard" SE than an SSE, although perhaps the turbo track and wheels might improve grip. I suspect the SSE was ordered more for its looks than anything else and with the turbo body, it has those in abundance. I wouldn't dismiss the Se though. Some of the ones I drove were great and you can't tell much difference from the inside.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20440

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back