Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxter s brakes

Mark deans

I have just recently bought a Porsche approved car from Parkers and parkers Kendal with 13000 miles on it and have owned it just 6 months, paid top hit on it £38000 and have just had it in for the 24 thousand mile service to be told all the brakes have corroded and need replacing at the cost of £1200 including Vat.

Could anyone tell me if this should have been picked up on the 101 checks and any advice on what i can do about it would be brilliant.

i.e. Porsche Germany’s address or email address. I have contacted Porsche GB to no Avail

many thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19387

Evo magazine has a Boxster s as one of its running reports cars. That car also suffered from Corroded brakes - they reported that it was a common problem - I know its not much consolation, but if i remeber correctly, they got the dealer to do something about it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19388

cheers warren,

dealer has offered to do this at cost now still £1000.00.

Bit of a sour taste in my mouth about the car though you wouldnt expect this from porsche i have had BMW's in the past never had anything like this problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19389

Hmm. Porsche seems to me the car manufacturer that is least interested in ensuring it delivers individual customer satisfaction and in maintaining customer relationships. I have been (but no longer am) amazed by its attitude to 996 engine and RMS failures. Porsche GB seem even more arrogant and uncaring than Porsche AG.

Great cars (mainly); lousy attitude. That could well sour ownership.

Seems to me you have a beef with whoever did your 'inspection'. Have the brakes really deteriorated that much since? And if so, what's caused it?

And does this corrosion really mean replaceent to the tune of a grand? Is it really safety-critical? What exactly is corroded? Discs? Can they be skimmed?

Mark Pearce might have a view...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19390

PS You're more likely to get sympathetic treatment from a dealer than Porsche GB...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19391

Mark,

I'm interested in that they say the "At cost" price is still a grand. Ask them for a break down of the cost, since just looking at
www.design911.com
the price for original Porsche Boxster S Parts is;

Front Discs 89+vatRear Discs 89+vatFront Pads 89+vatRear Pads 59+vatTotal £588 including VAT + delivery (probably around £25)

Looks like someone is still making £412 somewhere :wink:
makes the "at cost" statement a little harder to swallow doesn't it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19392

This is the thing i have had the car summer months garaged and they are trying to tell me that in 6 months the brakes have corroded to the point they need replacement to the tune of a grand.

dealer not interested

wont be going back there i think.

ps

who is mark pearce

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19393

gatekeeper

Your a star thanks for that looks like i might have to get hands dirty and save 400 quid

still very poor of porsche thought

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19394

Discs will corrod if the car is put away wet and not driven for a while.

The unwritten rule is that if you've put it away after washing or driving in the rain, then you MUST drive it again the next available dry day......well thats my rule anyway :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19395

Appreciate that gatekeeper,

However drive this car every day goes in the garage at night comes out in the morning did the same with my BMW never had this problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19396

The "Evo" boxster, as i am sure all their cars are, was driven a lot - otherwise i guess they wouldnt have much of a "our cars" section. Mark D - do you want me to dif out the recent copies and email the articles to you ? Let me know you email if you do.

Have you had another dealer / workshop have a look at the problem ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19399

Cheers Warren,

would appreciate that, my next step is to take it to another dealers for s second opinion.

will pm you email address

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19401

Well if yours is a daily drive, then I can't see how they could have corroded to the point where the dealer says they must be replaced in 6 months.

Mine sometimes doesn't get used for over 2 weeks (weekend toy) so hence I always make sure I put it away dry.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19402

I remember being ripped off in about 1988 - my golf Gti went in for a service and the dealer called - "your brakes are all shot - new disks and pads needed upfront" - I told them to replace all round as most people would - when I got the car back the disks were in a plastic bag in the boot. They were really fine - some micro-hairline cracks, but I gave them to a friend who was racing a Mk1 golf in Modified saloons, he ground them and used them for a whole season - moral is whenever garages tell me the brakes need replacing I say don't worry and check them myself against the recommended tolerances.

BTW what is wrong with rust on disks - they comprise of an untreated metal surface that gets polished every time you go out - so what if they have surface rust on the non-working parts, I don't believe that will have any effect on your braking performance until they rust away - maybe several years submerged in salt water??

Generally I think that disk replacements are a dealer scam, and only an effective scam because people are scared to ignore advice when given on brakes... I know I am ranting now, but when is the last time you heard about an accident caused by rust on disks - no such thing in my opinion -

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19409

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back