Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 won't start

DerbyLad

Turn the ingnition to postion 1 and all the dash lights, radio, fan come on, voltage says 12 volts. Then when I turn the engine on nothing happens, no starter motor click, it's just dead. Any ideas?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19385

Immobiliser ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19386

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by DerbyLad on 18 October 2004

Turn the ingnition to postion 1 and all the dash lights, radio, fan come on, voltage says 12 volts. Then when I turn the engine on nothing happens, no starter motor click, it's just dead. Any ideas?

postamble();
Hi DerbyLad

A good idea to find out if your battery is too low ( forget the 12 volt you see,as a nearly flat battery can indicate this) is to notice the lights/fan/radio when you turn the key, if they dime quite a bit get it charged, if not seek help( starter/rely etc :)
. If you got a charger why not just get the battery done, cost, just time, I would even contemplate getting a new battery if it was more than 5 years old ( date on top of the thing ).... good luck

Kaj

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19610

kay is right. A battery is effectively flat at 11.2V and charged at 13.2 - 13.8. Voltometer should read 14V when running otherwise you've a problem.

However, if the starter motor isn't making a noise you might be right that it is an alarm or immobiliser problem. Have you got self-closing etc? Do the windows work when switching the ignition on or are they dead as well? This has happened to me in several cars when the alarm has developed a problem, including Toy on a recent visit to Dorset.

If you haven't already, try jumping the engine from another battery / car. If its an alarm problem, try shutting everything off, making sure all doors are properly closed and then reset the alarm. Then try again. Otherwise it is AA / RAC or a friendly mechanic.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19666

I have to agree with the battery answers. My Nov 02 C4S that I bought at the end of November wouldn't start after the wife stopped at a petrol station. Once the Porsche Assistance bloke had it going again it was fine. Apparantly if left for a while they regain some charge (as it happens it was just enough to start the car) so if it was stopped and started again quickly (within a couple of minutes) the drin on the battery is too much and it won't start.

Result was a replacement battery, and now (touch wood) it seems to be ok.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22223

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back