Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo?

moto

Trainee
Greetings from a newbie!

I've been following a few threads here e.g T0K's on C4S vs Turbo vs 997 and it seems that we like the 996 Turbo the best. I saw this specimen at RSJ at 60k and i must say it's pretty tempting. I've got a quote from Tesco and I can live with it....
http://www.rsjsportscars.co.uk/vehicles/porsche_911_996_turbo_3.htm

Another peachy specimen is found at
http://www.camtune.com/CarSales.aspx?StockID=151
and i love the colour and the spec though it's 10k more than the one above.

I'd love to hear your views on:

i) whether it's a good time to buy a 996 turbo now... are prices going to go down once more 997s hit the road?

ii) is Turbo definitely the way to go over C4S (or 997)?

iii) what are the main outlays in maintaining the turbo vs the C4S?

Many thanks indeed

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19232

My take is...

996 Turbo prices will hold for longer than 'ordinary' 996s because there's no 997 Turbo yet. But all 996 prices will eventually be hit by the 997. As regards cost of ownership/depreciation, I'd wait at least a year before buying any 996.

If you want a Turbo, then get one.

Maintenance question? Dunno. I reckon C4S costs are lower and engine is of course less complex. Are Turbos less at risk of engine failure and RMS problems?

I infer from reports that 997 is a better car than the 996. If you can afford a 997, get one (though you may drive a particular 996 and fall in love with it). But I'm no expert. What do others think?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19238

turbo is a different beast! the power is unmatchable in any standard 911 (except GT2), if its power you want and you can afford it go for a turbo, in terms of servicing a C4S shares everyting with the turbo except the engine! Standard servicing should be similar. Tyres and brakes ditto. HAve noy heard of any engine failures on the turbo or C4S.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19242

I know a guy whose new C4S engine had to be replaced 3 times in 1 year!! It was done under warranty as the car was bought new from Porsche - he had enough and traded it in for a Turbo...

As per other threads - 996 Turbo/GT* cars have a different engine to other 996s (Boxsters/Carreras) so are not affected by the engine problems suffered by those cars.

Drive all the cars you are considering before you make your final decision - I did and would take the Turbo hands down over everything else, well, until the 997 Turbo comes out that is!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19247

Trying to buy a 996 Turbo for a customer at the moment,

When i spoke to my local porsche dealer if he had any tips to look for his reply was

They don't suffer from the rear main problem as they have a different crank case, check the tyres and brakes as theres 400 BHP+ going through the chassis, but nothing special to check, you'll know if the turbos are working and smiled

mark pearce

www.stirlings.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19249

I've got a c4s and although its a quick car its not what i'd call fast (in porsche terms) I recently drove a turbo and was blown away by how quick it actually was. If i was to buy a turbo now it would have to be tiptronic cos with that much power i want to keep both my hands on the steering wheel!!

What ever turbo you get you will never look back...probably cos you're going so fast :D
<---With that look on your face!!!

I'm going to upgrade to the 997 turbo and i can't wait!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19250

I know you guys are talking about "modern" Porsches, but.....I upgraded from a 993 C2S to a 993 Turbo and am loving it. It is just so much quicker. There is nothing quite like blasting past a line of cars on full boost in 3rd...

Whichever model turbo, go for it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19251

thanks all for the info!

It does look like the turbo - which ever generation - has the vote!

The one at RSJ at below £60k - what does everyone think about it? Has anyone bought from them? i don't think i wanna stretch myself for a 997 Turbo (ie can't afford it) - it's probably going to be upwards of £90k? so i'm probably going to go for the 996.

it probably sounds stupid but i think i'd want one with a park assist so that i won't bump the engine! :oops:
I really should go and drive one (only drove a couple of 993 c2s and was adequately impressed already) and see if it can make me swear profusely - i kinda like that.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19263

Ah well if you haven't driven a 996 you just might find the 993 better...

RSJ are OK, but they have some very nice cars and some not so nice ones. Check the car over with a fine toothcomb and get a PPI. Make sure it's the top car at the right price - and right for you.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19269

Aswell as the PPI get a used car warranty from Porsche if its out of official warranty - about £1200 I think...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19270

Welcome to the ranks of newbies.

I wasn't looking in your price range but the issues are similar.

The turbo was and is an iconic car. But so are RS's and many of the other rarer editions. I saw a 993 celebration that had been breathed on and ran a 3.8 with supercharger. That in a straight line would probably mix it with the best. Unfortunately straight lines are for trains and romans.

If you want a performance car then the 911 offers a huge choice that you will only be able to get through with careful research.

Or, you do what I did, hunt around very carefully, test lots of the "normal" 911's, drive a turbo and BUY IT!

However, if the relative improvement in space of a 996 isn't an issue, save yourself £20K and buy a 993 Turbo.

They'll love you on this site.

Best of luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19271

993 TT over a 996.

If I wasn't looking for a new home I'd be fishing for a 993 TT

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19272

For a long time i thought i was going to get a 993 over a 996 any day but in the past month or so the 996 Turbo look has grown on me suddenly - even past the 993... do i need to see a doc?

Have to admit though, a 993 Turbo S...mmm.....there's a black one in my company car park - one of our MD's.... i have never been so close to nicking a car...

(actually - the weird thing is, that one's got a 996 3 spoke steering wheel.. it just didn't go with the cabin at all....)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19274

Well after some great advice from this board and some.. ok plenty of test drives I am going for a 996 Turbo, I found one and just had the PPI and the used car warranty, it was £1200 and well worth it, the only problem they found was a faulty horn, and belive me they were thorough....and I should be picking it up next week!!! :) I am over the moon...this until now has been a dream car I never thought I would ever own...mine is a similar spec and price to the one you had a link of at camtune (btw a fantastic colour Moto)

Just sold my M3...was sad to see that go...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19371

Congratulations T0K - looks like Xmas has come early for you!

What spec is your baby? Which dealer did you buy from, or did you buy private?

Make sure you post some pics of her once you get a chance...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19384

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back