Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

what is this for...?

Tim Hill

My 89 3.2 has developed a problem...

When I start it from cold there is a electrical type whine from the engine bay!

I have tracked this down to what looks like a fan in the air recirculation system (the fan is located on the top left of the engine bay to the left of the throttle assembly) and is powered simply by a two pronged connector.

The car starts and runs fine when I disconnect it (and the noise disappears too!).

My question is this though - Is this an essential fan? What is it's purpose (I assume it is for cold starting/running only?), what is it called (so I can replace it) and anything else anyone knows about it...

I couldn;'t find it in my haynes so is it a lte addition to the 3.2 engine or (as suspected( is haynes just missing the info?

All comments welcome.

Cheers

Tim.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19137

Hi Tim,

The fan is part of the heating system, it will not affect the running of the engine. The whining probably means the bearings are shot. It is on all 3.2's, surprised its not in the haynes manual. It is relatively simple to remove and replace, take off the plastic pipes that go to it, unplug the electrical connector, and undo the clamp that goes round the motor.

What the fan actually does is regulate the flow of air into the cabin when the heater is on. Without it the air would flow faster as engine speed increases because the main engine cooling fan is going faster.

HTH,

Matt.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19162

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back